2017 Xtrainer Fan Running on it's Own

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

2017 Xtrainer Fan Running on it's Own

Postby rdsrf » Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am

2017 Xtrainer. I was washing the bike a day ago and the fan (which normally won't run unless the engine is running) started running on it's own.

Fiddling with the kill switch got it to stop after a bit but there was also a sizzling sound (sort of like frying bacon) coming from the starter/kill switch.

I pulled the battery and opened up the switch but nothing looks amiss inside the switch. Anyone experience this? Replace the start/kill switch? Any input is much appreciated.
rdsrf

Re: 2017 Xtrainer Fan Running on it's Own

Postby mtdirtbag » Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 am

Sounds like water in the switch.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby rdsrf » Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am

Yes no doubt water causing the issue somewhere. Never an issue before in a year and a half of ownership. Replace the switch or could this be a wiring harness/fan issue?
rdsrf

Postby firffighter » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

My fan switch was stuck on last year. It was simply a bad fan switch. Replaced under warranty and no problem since.
firffighter

Postby rdsrf » Fri May 18, 2018 11:12 am

firffighter wrote:My fan switch was stuck on last year. It was simply a bad fan switch. Replaced under warranty and no problem since.

Thanks for the reply. You replaced the thermostat switch in the radiator or the starter/kill switch? Prior to this happening I wouldn't have thought they were related but they seem to be as I was able to get it to stop by fiddling with it.
rdsrf

Postby wwguy » Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 pm

From your description it sounds like one or more of the 3 diodes have failed in the closed circuit state. This would permit battery voltage to flow through them in the wrong direction, thus powering some circuits that are intended to only intended to be run from stator power when the engine is running.

If you have a close look at the wiring diagram in your owner's manual you'll see that the 12v battery is only connected to the electric starter motor and relay. The diodes are basically one-way electrical "valves" that permit the stator to recharge the battery after the bike is running. Everything else electrical on the bike runs off of the stator powered by the engine. Thus the fan shouldn't ever be able to run when the engine is off.

If my guess is true you'll probably also see the 12v battery go flat if the bike is parked for a few days. Th 4700uF capacitor on the stator-powered harness will likely deplete the battery slowly if stator and battery circuits are connected together.
wwguy

Postby rdsrf » Fri May 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Shucks that sounds a bit over my level of electrical ability which isn't much. Didn't even know what a diode does prior to reading your description of it.

I will open up the manual and see if I can get part numbers for the diodes and just replace if the aren't too much money. I wouldn't know where to begin as far as troubleshooting them.
rdsrf

Postby rdsrf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:49 pm

wwguy wrote:From your description it sounds like one or more of the 3 diodes have failed in the closed circuit state. This would permit battery voltage to flow through them in the wrong direction, thus powering some circuits that are intended to only intended to be run from stator power when the engine is running.

If you have a close look at the wiring diagram in your owner's manual you'll see that the 12v battery is only connected to the electric starter motor and relay. The diodes are basically one-way electrical "valves" that permit the stator to recharge the battery after the bike is running. Everything else electrical on the bike runs off of the stator powered by the engine. Thus the fan shouldn't ever be able to run when the engine is off.

If my guess is true you'll probably also see the 12v battery go flat if the bike is parked for a few days. Th 4700uF capacitor on the stator-powered harness will likely deplete the battery slowly if stator and battery circuits are connected together.

I hadn't had any more issues since I started this thread but it seems as if you may be correct about the diodes.

I didn't ride the bike for a couple of weeks and today my 3 month old Shorai lithium battery was so dead it wouldn't even turn over the engine. Glad I got that kick starter kit!

After riding for about 20 minutes or so the battery was charged enough to use the electric starter again so the charging system seems to be functioning OK.

Any chance you know of part numbers for the diodes and where I would find them in the harness? I'm thinking I might as well just replace them all.
rdsrf

Postby Rv4Bob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:18 am

Rv4Bob

Postby njbill » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:04 am

Rv4Bob wrote:http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcycles-beta-300rr250rr-beta-injection-diode-plug-p-291.html
http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcyc ... -1142.html

both the diode and cap, I've ordered from these guys good service.

Do these come stock on the 2018 Xtrainer?
2016 Beta 390 RR
2013 Yamaha WR250R
njbill

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring