No lights or action

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

No lights or action

Postby 250ArrArr » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

Out riding my 2016 250rr about a month ago and slowly lost battery power. Cleaned and tightened terminals when I got home and battery still not charging but also noticed the lights and horn weren't working. Found out about the Diode and Cap replacement and changed them but no luck. Went through the Oil Injection and Wiring Troubleshooting Guide and everything was within spec except on stator yellow to white was .5 Ohms instead of.18 Ohms but found others had same reading on old and new stators. Still Running fine until i took it to a buddies house and cranks but wouldn't start. Pulled pug and no spark visible and couldn't feel one :shock: either... Next I started cutting wiring loom cover off around steering stem and other friction areas but everything was tight and right.( I've disconnected all handlebar connectors except starter and speedo. Kill switch wires don't show continuity.I have continuity on ground wires in connectors behind headlight. My lithium battery will charge to 14.24 volts but loses almost 1 volt in 24 hrs with it in bike. Tried my lead acid battery just for fun but didn't help- it loses charge too but is kinda old.)
So I retested coil and now out of spec so installed new one... no change. Okay it must be the regulator! Installed new one today but no luck. I've retested stator resistances and still okay but seems like the next place to throw money. I know just enough about electrical stuff to be dangerous but I like to DIY in case I'm stuck somewhere remote...Any ideas before I take it to the shop?
250ArrArr

Re: No lights or action

Postby Rv4Bob » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:35 pm

did you check the main ground wire? or take off and clean up then put back on.
Did you check the fuse in the start solenoid? From looking at the wire diagram looks like it will crank without a fuse, but no power to other items.
If you get running check voltage at battery before and during engine running. Should go up several volts if charging when running.
Maybe even just throw a new fuse in just to be sure. Try that and let us know.
Rv4Bob

Postby 250ArrArr » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Have some progress! Been busy with our bathroom remodel- trying to get done so I can ride soon. I tried the suggestions above- thanks Rv4Bob, but still no luck. I decided to order a new stator as it seemed a lack of power issue rather than a bad ground. While waiting for the new one I take off the ignition cover and get a nice surprise. One of the 2 bolts attaching the stator coil(?) to the cover was missing and there was damage on one of the windings including a broken wire as if something had struck it. After I pulled the flywheel I found the missing bolt... sitting under the e-start gear with the head ground down at a 45 degree angle. I carefully checked for the missing head but I believe it was ground down slowly by the flywheel as it backed out of the stator cover as I only found small flakes of metal stuck to the flywheel magnets and lots of black residue. Good news in a sense as my puzzle was solved... Well I'm closer... I think I got everything back together right and tried firing it up but still no luck -except the headlight comes on when I crank! Yes! Pulled the plug and checked for spark, nothing. next I'll probably pull off the plug cap to test. I know its probably something simple. Can a new coil be damaged easily? I don't want to buy an ECU now :( . Didn't get a new pickup coil but didn't look damaged... Please help, I had to ride my WR250f at the Shelton Fun Run and I was trying to ride it like a 2-stroke :? .
250ArrArr

Postby aj_mariner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 pm

If the inside was blackened with debris from the bolt...then I would clean off your pickup...and strip on the flywheel that the pickup is sensing first.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby 250ArrArr » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Time for an update and I need some advice. Still busy with remodel, plus garage has been like 100 degrees when I get home so progress has been slow... So my next purchase was- new front wire loom. No change but now I have fresh connectors and continuous outer jacket. Bought a good Multimeter (Fluke 115) as my two cheapos would get different readings. Rechecked the coil- way out of spec So I figured maybe damaged stator fried it? Got new one, no change but get same reading as original and second one (Troubleshooting guide says 13.2 Ohms across B to C but I'm getting just over 6k Ohms, which is what I believe another member got with his 300RR). Next I look at the stator again. A YouTube video (yes i know...) said if the power output wires show continuity to ground it is bad. So i check the disconnected yellow and white wires and they are grounded. I take the stator cover off and check at the source and sure enough they are grounded and have continuity to the core. But the lights are working and everything looks tight & right, flywheel and pickup coil are clean...So must be right, just beyond my limited idea of how electricity flows. Next check is wire coming from CDI to coil. It has continuity and is not shorted. When I crank the starter I get a fluctuating reading but looks like around .4 volts at the coil connection.

So my thinking now is either power is getting to CDI but pickup coil is bad and not sending signal to CDI to fire or the CDI is bad and was damaged by cranking the bike with a messed up stator. The pickup coil is showing the correct resistance but the CDI is beyond me to test. Other less likely possibilities; 1. Regulator was damaged with old stator (lighting works but not sure if lighting power goes through regulator) 2. wire is pinched elsewhere (I just went out and disconnected the yellow and white wires from stator and yellow wire on the loom side shows continuity to ground but white wire does not.) but I doubt this as the bike was running and odds of two physical malfunctions are high. 3. There is a hump on the flywheel that the pickup coil reads. If it is supposed to be magnetized but was struck by the bolt it may have lost magnetism and the ability to trigger spark.

Last week I ordered a new CDI and pickup coil . I have the new CDI but the Pickup coil is on back order but may come soon. My plan is to try the pickup coil first (only $84 :( ) then should that not fix it install the new CDI. But at $315 :shock: I'm leary of unwrapping it as I could probably return it. I'm hoping for advice, even if it's to correct my understanding of the issues involved. Also if someone could check those yellow and white wires on their bike on both sides for ground it could point me in a different direction. If I had advice for others it would be to open your stator/ignition cover periodically as condensation can get in there. A couple freeze/ thaw cycles may have loosened that stator bolt.
250ArrArr

Postby Clearvu1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:35 am

Sorry, I can't help but how many hours on your bike?
Now I'm thinking I need to pull the cover and check mine out before a bolt falls out.
Please post up once you have it figured out.
Clearvu1

Re: SOLVED: No lights or action

Postby 250ArrArr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Well I now have a smoking bike, but it was pretty loaded up... So two days ago I thought I'd try something crazy and wrote to Beta USA. I described my problem and things I'd tried and the next day I got the answer. I had connected the blue connectors of the stator together as I had already connected the white connectors on the loom side together- Doh!. I just never questioned such an obvious move but as soon as I realized what I had done I had to hit my forehead. (It's supposed to be Blue to white, blue to white). Next time I'll be taking more pictures before taking things apart. I did learn a lot about how the ignition system works which was part of my goal for this DIY. I've already got everything back together, wrapping connections with silicone tape. Hope to rip around near Cle Elum, Wa. this weekend.
250ArrArr

Return to Electrical & Wiring