Battery not charging - 500RS '16

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Battery not charging - 500RS '16

Postby jbawden » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 am

Doing some troubleshooting on my bike, trying to track down a condition where my battery (Shorai, new in November '17) does not appear to be charging. The charging system seems to work as it will run without the battery connected. Also, I am getting output from the stator (14.5v coming out of the rectifier when running). Checking voltage at the battery it does go up when running, but I'm not getting even 14v, about 13.8 @ 5000rpm. The battery will be down below 50% (according to the Shorai charger) after a weekend of riding it. I want to troubleshoot but data seems to be hard to come by...thoughts?
jbawden

Re: Battery not charging - 500RS '16

Postby Deck1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Seems to me like your battery is not accepting the charge from the bike. I check my running voltage with Voyager dash display, and I don't think I see over 13.8 volts, either. I have changed to LED headlight bulb, which helps with low RPM running. I have noticed in winter, running heated grips, heated vest and running low RPM's that it did drain battery, but that was really last ride on that 2 year old battery, before buying a new one.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby jbawden » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Yeah, it would appear that is the case; everything is doing what it should except for the battery is acting like a one way street. I feel this need to verify but I guess a flat battery after every weekend on the bike is a pretty solid diagnosis! I love everything about Li Ion batteries but maybe they (or just this one) isn't a good fit for my bike?
jbawden

Postby Deck1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:14 pm

I am trying an Antigravity right now. Second time out, fired right up, loaded on trailer, took it took OHV park, unloaded, fired up and let it go through warm up, shut off, put on rest of gear, turned key on and got nothing. Tried key a couple of times, still nothing. I took off seat, disconnected negative terminal, reconnected, and it fired right up. I had forgotten about this battery's built in jump start button, but next time I will try that. Not sure at all what happened. 1 time glitch doesn't really kill my confidence until I see problem couple of times.

See if you can swap batteries with another rider as a test.

When my original battery was on it's last leg, I could still kick and push start the bike, and it would run fun. That was encouraging!
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby jbawden » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Update - Took the AGM battery out of my KTM and the same issues persist, however the voltages are lower than first reported. At idle hunts between 12.9 -13.0 but as the revs go up it drops steadily to about 12.65. Chassis ground is good and clean and I've confirmed 14.5 coming out of the rectifier, so is there anything other than wiring from the rectifier to the battery? I presume the condenser and so forth giving the 2T guys fits are isolated to 2T? Behind the battery appears to be the exact same parts that I see on other 2T posts about not charging.
jbawden

Postby jbawden » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 am

There is a service bulletin out (issued in March) for the 15-17 4T Beta's. Factory is doing a courtesy replacement of the diode and condenser as they are seeing reports of corrosion causing charging issues commonly reported on the 2T bikes. I got the replacement parts but still didn't solve my issue. Guess its in the wiring.
jbawden

Postby ian480RR » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:02 am

I have a 2016 480rr and am having the same issue, orignal battery died a few weeks ago on a ride and i replaced it with a lithium battery. I went for a ride on the weekend and had the same problem and the new battery went flat again. I have since charged the battery and re-tested the bike wile its running with a voltmeter and it appears that the bike is not providing any charge to the battery (battery was on 13.32v before starting then went to 12.2 when running) So could this be related to the dodgy diode that i read about in other posts or mabye a fuse or stator issue?
ian480RR

Postby jbawden » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:03 pm

As I posted above I got the replacement condenser and diode for my bike last week and its still doing the same thing as I posted above that (but talk to your dealer and get the replacements nonetheless). Wire harnesses are something Beta really struggle with, though my dealer says 2018 has so far proven more reliable. I don't know, its a frustrating spot to be...out of warranty, on my own to figure out. It's fun to be something of an early adopter of the brand but it comes at a cost.
jbawden

Postby jbawden » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Update...someone said in another thread (maybe not even Beta) about finding a 50w H4 bulb in the bike and it was draining the battery. Curious I checked mine and it was the stock HS1 35w bulb. I disconnected the bulb and checked the voltage at the battery and it was up around 13.5v or so. I would guess that means there isn't a wiring issue, it seems more like marginal output from the stator. Doesn't appear to be an aftermarket stator for the FI Beta? Like @deck1 mentioned above, going to try a led bulb and see if that is a decent interim solution.
jbawden

Postby Deck1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

I would suspect something in ignition switch, or possibly a headlight relay if it has one. Possibly even headlight switch. The headlight bulb is just completing circuit that shouldn't be active with key off. Fuel injected Beta's since 2016 are supposed to have 200w stator, but obviously not 200w at idle.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring