New to Betas and a few issues

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

New to Betas and a few issues

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am

Just bought a 2014 250rr, I've got a few concerns with making it road legal.

I think for some reason it has been messed about with a bit.

For instance the engine stop switch has been turned into a map switch and a button added for the engine stop.

There is no horn at all and no sign of provisions for a horn.

The tail light only comes on as a brake light and even that is faulty, i.e. it only operates at a certain point in the brake's travel.

Also, there was an hour meter on the side, which appears to have been disconnected, can anyone tell me where the cable is supposed to go and what type of plug should be on the end?

Apparently the maximum file size is 512kib so I can't upload any pics to help explain.
beta250rrowner

Re: New to Betas and a few issues

Postby wwguy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:56 pm

The owner's manual for your bike can be found here on Beta USA's support page. The wiring diagram and legend are on pages 24 & 25.

The stock engine stop switch is the red button on the forward-facing side of the switch assembly on the left handlebar. It's a momentary push switch, so I don't see how it could be re-purposed as an ignition map switch.

The horn switch is the black momentary push switch on the rear-facing side of the same switch assembly on the left handlebar. The horn comes from the factory mounted on a bracket affixed to the lower triple clamp, between the black fender brace and the triple clamp. The bracket is famous for being the first thing to break off of most Beta's under normal riding conditions. Most riders who don't plate their bikes just toss it in the trash when it breaks.

The tail and brake lights are in the same LED assembly. If the tail light doesn't come on when the bike is running it's likely due to broken wire or poor electrical connection in the plastic electrical connector. I had a problem with flickering taillight when my 2016 was brand new and my dealer resolved it under warranty by putting a dab of dialectric grease in the connector and zip-tying the connector ends together. (No problems in 200+ hours of operation since.)

The brake light switches are built into the banjo bolts on the front and rear brake master cylinders. I'm not aware of any method to adjust them, but they can be replaced for around $15 each. Here's an example replacement at RMATV.

The bike doesn't come from the factory with an hour meter, as this function is built into the stock speedo. But the speedo is prone to breakage and button battery failure, so many riders like me opt for aftermarket hour meters to keep accurate track of run time. Not sure about yours, but mine is powered by a 10-year internal battery. The only wire from it wraps several times around the sparkplug wire, using non-contact inductance to detect the engine running.
wwguy

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Wow, great and quick reply, thanks.

I really thought my bike was a lemon when I saw the speedo wire! It looked like it had been cut and just wrapped around the nearest thing.

What I thought was the hour meter must be part of the speedo setup. For some reason on the box it says "hours" and looks like it has a simple digital display.

So at least that was not a problem as such.

The wiring loom on the bike seems to be missing things though.

Because I've pulled the headlight shroud and there aren't any connectors for the speedo. Nor can I see anywhere to connect a horn. Unless the horn goes directly to the battery and just comes off the bike as such, leaving no trace of connections.

I found an image hosting website so I can upload a few images to shed some light.

It looks to me like the original switch gear has been removed at some point.

beta250rrowner

Postby Goatse » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:28 pm

It looks like you might have the race wiring harness.
Goatse

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:47 pm

That figures because apparently the first owner (I bought it from the second owner so the information is 2nd hand) never registered it because he just used it in events.

So it looks like I need to contact my local dealer and ask them for the regular harness.

I did get a spare harness in a box of spares I was given with the bike but it had no CDI plug or starter solenoid plug on it, so it confused me as to how it could be a complete harness.

It looks like this is what I need, but it looks a bit sparse like the one currently on the bike

https://www.beta-uk.com/index.php/compo ... l?Itemid=0
beta250rrowner

Return to Electrical & Wiring