Changed wiring loom now no spark

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Changed wiring loom now no spark

Postby beta250rrowner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 am

Hi, I have a NO SPARK situation after changing the wiring loom back to the full loom on my 2014 250rr.

I am currently studying the wiring diagram (attached for posterity) and so far everything checks out.

I do not have the kill switch or left hand switch gear connected to anything at the moment, that shouldn't stop it though should it?

To disconnect the kill switch I had to undo the bolt that holds the igniter coil to the frame, but as far as I can tell I put it back just fine.

When I go for a kick start the lights do come on even though the switch is disconnected.

Could that mean something?

I believe the charge for the spark comes directly from the stator, so as long as the yellow wire is connected to the yellow wire and the white wire to the white wire I should have a spark right?

Edit: One more significant thing I noticed. On the full middle/rear loom, the plug that goes to the starter solenoid has a wire missing. It has three instead of four which the plug is designed to accommodate. As far as I can tell the starter solenoid is ONLY to do with the starter motor, it has nothing to do with the ignition system.
Attachments
Beta 250 wiring diagram.png
Beta 250 wiring diagram.png (211.51 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
beta250rrowner

Re: Changed wiring loom now no spark

Postby DaddyTJ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 am

There are two sets of wires coming from the magneto. They have two different color plugs. The mating plugs DON"T match in color. Mix match them and you will be back running. I think they are white and blue. Don't match the white plug to the white it goes to teh blue one.
Carzy but I did the same thing and had to take it to the dealer to get him to figure it out.
2017 Beta 300 RR
2015 Beta 300 RR
2008 KTM 300 XC-W Bye Bye
2010 Husaberg 450 FE Bye Bye
DaddyTJ

Postby beta250rrowner » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am

Wow, hell knows why they did it like that!

Thank you for you're quick reply. Not gonna be able to work on the bike until Friday now but I'll give that a try.

In the mean time I've got some rewiring to do to make use of the switch gear I've got on the bike without buying anything new.

I just need horn and kill switch wired in then I'm good to go! Figured day time running lights are stock since it's a new bike.

In the pic, you can't see well, but I have yellow to yellow and white to white. Guess I'll have to do a swap around!

beta250rrowner

Postby beta250rrowner » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:01 am

Scratch that, I think it's because I removed the kill switch. As I understand it, the circuit for the kill switch is always live until you interrupt it by pressing the momentary button.

So all I have to do for now is find the wire for that circuit and ground it. Edit: Not quite. The wire is the black and white wire which eventually ends up at the cdi. This wire needs current and then it will spark. So I need to collect that wire to a live wire (the black wire) for now then I should have spark.

But the full harness is different to the lightweight one and I don't know which wire it is on the full harness.

Edit: Also, for the full loom, it IS YELLOW-YELLOW and WHITE-WHITE for the stator connectors. The diagram confirms this.

It is only the lightweight harness where the colors are mixed up.
beta250rrowner

Postby beta250rrowner » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:24 am

Well I would have uploaded some pics from my tablet but due to the file size limit of 512kb I can't.

But I twisted the black/white stripey wire together with the black one and still no spark.

I am at my wits end with this now.

It's an electronically simple 2 stroke motor yet i'm totally stumped by it.
beta250rrowner

Postby Goatse » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 am

My guess it's the blue and white plugs mentioned above. You replied with switching some yellow ones around, but the ones that don't go together are the white and blue plugs. I've got a picture of it as well, but it is too big to attach (and I'm not going through the trouble of uploading it to a hosting site, then to hot link it here. This forum should fix that IMO).
Goatse

Postby beta250rrowner » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:55 am

I thought daddy TJ was referring to the wires coming FROM the lightweight harness going TO the stator.

On the lightweight harness there are white and blue wires that plug into two yellow wires coming from the stator.

On the full harness those two wires are colour coded accordingly.

I can't find any other terminals that match that description.

I'm on my tablet but will upload one image to show what I mean.
I am referring to the two spade connectors in the pic.

Image9
nh4 2so4 formula name

Edit: Nice, big fat juicy purple spark! :mrgreen:

I missunderstood about the plugs completely. Because the headlight was turning on I assumed the stator was connected fine. Thanks to Goatse over at thumpertalk uploading the image, I was shown exactly what to do.

Indeed, they were connected up according to color. I don't even remember unplugging them and I don't think they are part of the loom at all. I must have unplugged them thinking they were and then not noticed when I put them back.

Thanks for the help gents, now to carry on getting it street legal and registered!
beta250rrowner

Return to Electrical & Wiring