Headlight only works on full beam?

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Headlight only works on full beam?

Postby beta250rrowner » Mon May 06, 2019 9:19 am

Hiya chaps I was wondering if you could help me. I notice the headlight on my 250rr only works on full beam. I have changed the bulb and this is still the case. Since I have swapped from the race loom to the full loom I can only assume this is a wiring issue. I'd imagine it's a case of simply swapping wires over. The question is, which ones?
beta250rrowner

Re: Headlight only works on full beam?

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 am

I've got a feeling it might be the pink wire. At the moment it is connected to the other pink wire that goes up to the speedometer.

And that's all its connected to. If that is for the day time running dipped beam that would explain why it's off.

The question is, which wire to connect to it? I think the stripey blue and white, since that supplies the sidelight which is also always on.

But I think that might not be powerful enough. Having said that, it is the only wire available.

There is a black and a blue that go to the same connector block to the headlight as the pink wire but they must be for high beam as the blue is quite a thick gauge and it already goes to the same connector block as the pink so there would be no point in connecting it.

Not sure if the black is live or a neutral though. Anyway there is a wire that needs to be energised to get the dipped beam working and I think it is the pink wire.

Edit: can't post pic as the file size is too large
beta250rrowner

Postby beta250rrowner » Sun May 12, 2019 9:02 am

I do believe if I am reading the diagram correctly that the striped blue/white wire does indeed go to the green/black wire. It is a different color depending on which side of the plug it is but it is the green/black wire according to the diagram.

I am going to try this and update the thread with the result.
Attachments
Headlight wiring diagram.png
Headlight wiring diagram.png (150.75 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
beta250rrowner

Postby beta250rrowner » Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 am

Right, I've tested this today.

I can confirm that it is the striped blue and white wire that must be connected to the pink wire that goes to the headlight plug and the pink wire that goes to the speedo.

This will then provide headlight dipped beam current, sidelight current and backlight for the speedo.
beta250rrowner

Return to Electrical & Wiring