Hello Italian gremlins

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Hello Italian gremlins

Postby ks9mm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Washed the bike today after getting it properly dirty for the first time. After drying and all, I noticed that horn was making weird sounds but I was not pressing any buttons. Next thing I know..spark and blown fuse. Why would beta put horn and starter on the same fuse?? Short in the horn kills all electric on the bike including starter.

I was able to kick start the bike just fine in one kick, so it's nice to know that it will run with blown fuse, but still.. Kinda curious and now I think I have to put dielectric grace on every single electrical connection...

Oh well..my Italian beauty is showing some character. I can deal with that! :D
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Re: Hello Italian gremlins

Postby ks9mm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:26 pm

second blown fuse.

connecting the horn results in instantly blown fuse. question is, is it horn or switch gear that's causing the short? what do you guys do to bulletproof electrical stuff?

and yes..it's cool to have horn on dirt bike.. you can call you buddy and what not.. scare the deer or hiker..
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby Enmerdeur » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Blow the horn out with compressed air is if there is some water trapped in there. Maybe the control switch as well?
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby GMP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 am

IMO, if your going to retain and use all the euro street crap you need to take some time and do a serious waterproofing job on the system. All the connectors have open backs. The horn has one side wired hot all the time and is grounded to operate so thats your issue. Liquid electrical tape works well for this. Make it water tight and then you can hit it with the hose without worry. I stripped mine to race harness specs, and waterproofed the rest. Throttle makes a good horn to get lappers attention.

More impoprtant than the horn is the airbox when washing. If that drain clogs you will fill the air box well and then the motor with water. Get an air boot wash cover, remove the seat and side panel, remove the goofy drain valve, and wash the airbox with the bike every time.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ks9mm » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:26 am

GMP wrote:IMO, if your going to retain and use all the euro street crap you need to take some time and do a serious waterproofing job on the system. All the connectors have open backs. The horn has one side wired hot all the time and is grounded to operate so thats your issue. Liquid electrical tape works well for this. Make it water tight and then you can hit it with the hose without worry. I stripped mine to race harness specs, and waterproofed the rest. Throttle makes a good horn to get lappers attention.

More impoprtant than the horn is the airbox when washing. If that drain clogs you will fill the air box well and then the motor with water. Get an air boot wash cover, remove the seat and side panel, remove the goofy drain valve, and wash the airbox with the bike every time.

Thanks Glenn!! makes sense.

when you say "air boot wash cover" do you mean plastic bag over air filter? or more advanced device?

yesterday,
after deep water crossing, my bike turned off and would not restart for few minutes.. than fired up and ran fine the rest of the day. so do I also need to reroute all the carb vent hoses up?

it was not deep deep, just bit above foot pegs type deep
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby GMP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 am

The Twin Air cover that replaces the air filter. Works good, I also stuff a clean rag in the boot behind it for insurance. I have seen that stupid duck bill valve clog, and on my buddy's GG(same part) filled the lower end with water. Mine is in the trash. You can bag the filter if you leave the seat on and remove the valve. Deep water crossings on these bikes or KTMs with side access airboxes, and a low filter position are a problem. Avoid it. Old GGs, Huskys, Yamahas with a "tub" type one piece airbox are submarines with a good one way drain valve.

As far as stalling in the water, most likely splash water on the coil wires. Clean, dry, and seal these. Foot peg deep is not deep.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby ks9mm » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 pm

ordered Carb vent filter kit from 7602 racing and will route vent hoses up.

when you say seal coil wires, what exactly do you mean?
sorry, I am real newbie to dirt bike maintenance

thanks!
2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
ks9mm

Postby GMP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 pm

The connectors that connect the CDI wires to the coil. Also the coil ground wires. Basically go over the bike and look at all the connections. If it's possible for water to get in the connection, seal it up. It just saves a lot of trouble. This is not unique to dirt bikes. My Ducati had all open connectors with the exception of the EFI system.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Enmerdeur » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am

This is how I rerouted my vent lines

viewtopic.php?p=741#p741
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Darkside » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 am

ordered Carb vent filter kit from 7602 racing and will route vent hoses up.

I have one of those too. But haven't install it yet. Haven't found a clean way to route the hoses. It's much tighter in the engine compartment that the orange bikes
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring