No reading on speedo?

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

No reading on speedo?

Postby beta250rrowner » Mon May 27, 2019 1:02 pm

The final niggle with my bike is that there is no reading on the speedometer. I have removed the fork guards and looked at the front wheel hubs; there is no sign of any speedo reading equipment on there at all.

I have consulted the pdf owner's manual and there is no mention on there either.

Anyone know what I should be looking for?
beta250rrowner

Re: No reading on speedo?

Postby wwguy » Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Look for a wired magnetic sensor in the brake caliper hanger and a small magnet on the brake rotor that passes in front of the sensor once per each revolution of the front wheel. The sensor wires should run up the fork leg next to the front brake line.

wwguy

Postby aj_mariner » Mon May 27, 2019 3:43 pm

My wire chaffed through by the right hand guard.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby beta250rrowner » Thu May 30, 2019 4:37 am

I can confirm that this wire is not present on my bike. It might have broke during the time the previous owner rode it and he didn't feel the need to replace it for the type of use he was using it for.

So it looks like I will need to purchase this speedo wire and a magnet before the speedo and trip are back working again. Thanks for the picture wwguy, very helpful.

Just to check, where would this plug into once I have bought the wire? It might be pretty obvious, but the amount of times I have looked for a connector assuming it is going to be obvious and it's not is incredible. Especially on a bike that looks like it was modified for hard enduros like mine seems to have been.
beta250rrowner

Postby wwguy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 am

beta250rrowner wrote:Just to check, where would this plug into once I have bought the wire?

It plugs into a male 2-wire Molex connector near the speedo. My photo below shows the speed sensor wire with female connector that's missing on your bike.

wwguy

Postby twowheels » Thu May 30, 2019 5:06 pm

beta250rrowner wrote:I can confirm that this wire is not present on my bike. It might have broke during the time the previous owner rode it and he didn't feel the need to replace it for the type of use he was using it for.

So it looks like I will need to purchase this speedo wire and a magnet before the speedo and trip are back working again. Thanks for the picture wwguy, very helpful.

Just to check, where would this plug into once I have bought the wire? It might be pretty obvious, but the amount of times I have looked for a connector assuming it is going to be obvious and it's not is incredible. Especially on a bike that looks like it was modified for hard enduros like mine seems to have been.

The pickup and wire is called a 'reed' for some reason. We have those and the magnet, washer, and circlip needed in stock. If the wire is missing completely you likely also need some of the plastic clips that lash the speedo wire to the front brake line.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hubert Carpet » Fri May 31, 2019 12:23 am

The pickup contains a reed switch. It contains fine wire parts that are pulled together by the magnet each time it passes to make the circuit. This passes electrical pulses to the speedo unit which counts them and converts the number to an mph/kmh reading.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Return to Electrical & Wiring