A few issues

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

A few issues

Postby 18lstroup » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 pm

have a 2017 beta 300rr and I have a few issues. First off my speedo has been glitching out (speedo jumps randomly from 2mph to 140) not the same thing everytime it just randomly reads wrong numbers. I checked all the connections I could find and they all seemed fine. What would cause that? Also during a long ride today my starter completely stopped working. Had to kick it the next few times I stopped then it worked again and now it wont what so ever. I hear the relay clicking but the starter does not do anything. Any ideas?
18lstroup

Re: A few issues

Postby aj_mariner » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Not sure about the speedo. Did you check the positive to the starter and ground to frame for tightness?
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:55 am

Lots of times the starter can ground out and the fuse blows...especially if you might drop the bike on the right side where the horn is.. just switch out the fuse. Take off the seat and pull the fuse and replace with the spare provided there on the side. Once I put some silicone on the horn connectors no blown fuses. Some move the horn to by the steering stem too. Sounds like a fuse anyway. I went to Walmart and bout some extra fuses. Try that first.. simple.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Dezzzmomike » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:08 am

With regards to the starter, have you looked at the post a few posts below yours? There is a known issue with magnets detaching from the starter case causing the starter to stop working. Reading the thread in that post indicates the repair to be fairly simple. I would check there if you haven't already.
Ducati 955 Corse
Bimota DB8
MV Agusta F4 RR
BMW K1200S
BETA 430 RR-S
Dezzzmomike

Postby wwguy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am

Have you checked your battery storage voltage (disconnected) and charging circuit voltage (connected)? Blown fuses or magnets detached in the starter motor should result in an inoperable starter, not one that operates intermittently.

My money is on a poor ground connection somewhere and/or failure of the infamous diode pack or 4700uF capacitor.

If the diodes fail in open- circuit state (i.e. broken conductor) the 12v battery won't be recharged from stator power when the engine is running, eventually resulting in a flat battery after several operations of the starter.

wwguy

Postby 18lstroup » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:42 am

I put in the new fuse to no avail. I ran power directly to the starter and it fired right up. So it's not the starter itself. When you push the start button you can hear the starter relay click very slightly. So I think that's okay. Battery tested and good. Where is the ground on the frame? Any other tests you can think of to pi point problem location?
18lstroup

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:59 am

It could simply be the relay itself. The clicking shows that the internal solenoid is moving but the load side switch contacts may be tarnished or have failed for some reason.

You should be able to check this very simply by checking each side of the load switch on the relay. There should be battery voltage on the unswitched side at all times and you should be able to measure this on the opposite side when you press the starter and the relay clicks.

If the voltage is present when you press the starter, the circuit between there and the starter motor has a break in it. If it isn't then the relay itself (or the contacts it connects to) will be the issue. They aren't expensive and don't last for ever anyway.

One of my riding pals ahs recently had exactly the same issue as you and it only took a few minutes to find that the relay was the problem.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby babelfish » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:03 pm

If battery is good my bet would be bad ground or positive from relay to starter, or from battery to relay.
Go over all those main connections. Deelectric grease and torque all connections.
babelfish

Postby 18lstroup » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:25 pm

So it's not the relay or my diode and capacitor. I took the parts off my brothers identical bike and it didn't fix anything. So I know I have power to the relay because it clicks when push the start button. So that leaves just the power and ground wire off the relay leading to the starter right?
18lstroup

Postby Leon_RR250 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 pm

For the starter, just follow the cable from starter up to the relay. Most probably the cable cover and the cable itself is bad at the point where it touches the frame at the back low end tube of the frame, grounding the connection. The only issue my 2018 RR300 has got up to 165 hrs now.
Leon_RR250

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring