Starter and Fan fail to run

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Starter and Fan fail to run

Postby babelfish » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 am

Suddenly my '16 300 RR starter and fan both fail to run.
Battery is fully charged, head lights work, but the fan does not kick in when hot and starter, first it tried and "slipped" (not speed/power to keep starter clutch engaged) Now, after a long trip the only action is the starter relay clicking.
To me this sounds like a bad ground connection. Any other POV?
babelfish

Re: Starter and Fan fail to run

Postby wwguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 am

The bike's starter relay and motor operate off of the 12v battery. Everything else electrical on the bike operates off of stator-supplied AC or rectified DC voltage after the engine is running. Put another way, you don't need the 12v battery at all to ride this bike if you're content using the kicker to start it.

The fan temperature switch is easy to bypass with a short wire with 1/4" male spade terminals. I run mine that way full-time in the hot summer months. Whenever the engine runs the fan does too. If you do this and the fan still doesn't run with the engine running then you have another issue such as poor ground connection or a non-operational fan motor.

The issue you describe with the starter motor sounds like low battery voltage, but I see that you say the battery is fully charged. Other possibilities that come to mind include worn or failed brushes in the starter motor or insufficient lubrication of the bendix as suggested below.

wwguy

Re: Starter and Fan fail to run

Postby babelfish » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Humm, that bendix coupling look interesting.

I did some more electric checks. Battery is at 14 V. Checked the earth connection to the frame. Again it did try to engage at first attempt after a longish rest period, but the went back to relay click after an attempt or two. Checked voltage at the starter connection when trying to start (12 V- 13 V) That seems a bit high for a fully operating starter. On other bikes I've seen voltage drop down to 9 - 11 V with same type of battery while cranking the starter. But then again I don't know the consumption on the a stuck starter. Maybe brushes, but in that case it is a bit suspicious that it worked fine one day and the next day it does try to engage and then nothing.
babelfish

Return to Electrical & Wiring