My new to me 2017 500 RR-s just stopped

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

My new to me 2017 500 RR-s just stopped

Postby chriscaris » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm

My first post. Bought the above bike a couple weeks ago. I resprung it last weekend.

This morning I was going to the DMV for my riding test (so I can ride on the street here) and was doing some test runs on the "course" which is some slow turns and cone weaving etc. The bike suddenly just died.

There was plenty of fuel though the "low fuel light" was on
The bike was at 222 degrees
I have ridden the bike about 200 miles without incident.
has a rekluse clutch

Is there a "kill switch" I am not aware of? Neutral kill switch not obvious due to the rekluse?
I thought one of the little black boxes under the seat "clicked" like a breaker but I am not sure. I have the bike home now and am charging the battery as it seems to be low on voltage according to the voyager.
Just tried again with plenty of voltage- no start.
chriscaris

Re: My new to me 2017 500 RR-s just stopped

Postby BDM » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Very little to go on so far but I will tell you my 2016 recently died while putting down the road at 40mph. Basically quit like someone had hit the kill switch. Ran on starting fluid so not electrical. Ended up being the fuel pressure regulator inside the tank.

Bruce
BDM

Postby Deck1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:37 pm

you can have good battery voltage, but no amps. The nature of it shutting off doesn't sound like bad battery, though. If you bought it local to you, check with nearest dealer to see if it had been in before for similar issue. Other than that, you will need ohm meter and or test light to start diagnosing where power is stopping. There is a main fuse right there near the battery, check that first. Any friends have a good battery to try? I was able to take my last battery, that was new, to Batteries + Bulbs store, and it was showing 12.7 volts, but only managed 20 cranking amps on their test equipment. There is a tip-over switch behind the battery, but no clutch, neutral or kickstand switch.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby chriscaris » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm going to check for spark to rule out fuel issues. This is my first FI bike so I'm a bit apprehensive about tearing it apart but before going two+ hours to a beta shop I'll look for some obvious problems first.

Last weekend I was putting springs in the front forks by removing the bars and the bike fell over (nice and easy) and most of the fork oil spilled out on my garage floor. I am wondering if either A. some oil got into the kill switch somehow? or B. a strain was put on the wiring that somehow did not manifest itself until after several rides in the driveway to check the new springs and a 30 minute ride to my local DMV........ seems like at least a possibility. :?:
chriscaris

Postby chriscaris » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm

So I checked and found spark with one of those external inline spark testers. I also looked for loose connections etc. under the seat and around the EFI with nothing that seemed out of order. One of the plugs that attached to the gas tank seemed loose but otherwise all seemed well. I re checked the 4 10 amp fuses and they are good.

I shot a little carb cleaner into the throttle body and it tried to fire up a little. This strongly suggests to me that this is a fuel issue.

I took off the fuel injector and it does squirt out a little fuel. I have NO clue as to how much is enough and it seemed like a pretty small amount.

I suspect an issue with the fuel pump/filter/something in the tank. I do not have access to a pressure tester but I am wondering if anyone has a method to troubleshoot the fuel system?

Thanks all!
chriscaris

Postby BDM » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:43 am

If you can source a plastic "Colder PLC23004 Acetal Tube Fitting Elbow Straight Thru 1/4 Insert x 1/4"Barb", some fuel line and pressure gage (Amazon has all), you can check the fuel pressure delivered to the injector. Should be about 50+ psi. You can try cleaning the injector but I doubt that is your problem. Only 3 part Beta numbers for fuel system inside tank:
1) fuel pump assembly
2) fuel pressure regulator assembly
3) fuel filter kit

All are carry insane pricing, but through research, trial and error I believe have been able to source the main components that could fail. Let me know if you want source info and part numbers. I intend to do a separate post on the subject but want to do some testing to confirm all work well.

Again in my case the problem was the pressure regulator. The test it failed miserably was to remove it from housing (2 screws) and try to blow through it via the fuel supply (bottom or small end). You should not be able to, in my case the air flowed freely.

Bruce
BDM

Postby chriscaris » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks BDM, I have ordered the elbow and will have that gauge available next time I need it.

I started taking out the fuel pump after "hot wiring" it and it ran well. I noticed right away that the high pressure hose that comes off of the filter was disconnected! I reconnected it but it pulls apart rather easily so I'm reluctant to simply put it back together and call it good. I may rig up some zip ties to hold it all together but will contact IMS/Beta on Monday to see what options there may be.

I have a box of parts that came with the bike that I will go through to see if I can find the fuel line tool (yellow plastic thing) and will get one if it is not here.

I will first try to get the coupler to latch correctly then I'll supplement with zip ties.

Thanks to all that helped me on this- I am pretty sure I'll have this together and running this weekend unless I wait for IMS/Beta to send a new coupler.....
chriscaris

Postby BDM » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 am

Fudge..... I think I gave you the wrong part number. Colder makes several different series of quick connecter and would you know it they are not all compatible. But..... other then a few $ you can still proceed if you have the gauge.

On my 2016 the hose clamps are reusable if some care is taken. You want to test the compleat system as delivered to the injector. Testing just the pump will do not that as you will be bypassing the pressure regulator (which is what failed on my bike). Using a small screwdriver and small pliers the band can be unclipped fairly easily and reused. Remove the clamp from the tank side female (may spray a little fuel as it is a valved connector) and remove the fitting, replacing it with the gauge. This can be done either with the bits in the take or removed in a small container with a couple inches of fuel. With 12v applied (use care for polarity), if all is well you should see 55 psi plus or minus 5-10.

Also the yellow fuel fitting tool for the intank connectors for me was slightly to long to work nicely as it was forced open by a ridge moled to the fitting. Mine worked better after sanding it a little shorter.

Sorry for the mixup on fittings, as I said I was still working things out. I actually like the fitting series you ordered better then the stock as the clasp more positively so I have changed my out. Hence my confusion.

Bruce
BDM

Postby BDM » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:08 am

Any update on the problem?

Bruce
BDM

Postby NNW » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:29 am

BDM wrote:Very little to go on so far but I will tell you my 2016 recently died while putting down the road at 40mph. Basically quit like someone had hit the kill switch. Ran on starting fluid so not electrical. Ended up being the fuel pressure regulator inside the tank.

Bruce

My first post here.

Bought 2017 500rs a few days ago for my son, The bike suddenly died on a very short test ride, but since we heard the bike run and the engine sounded ok, we took a gamble and bought the bike anyway.

IMPORTANT clue was that you could see fuel swirling on the left side of the tank (1/4 tank of fuel) when turning the ignition on...this should not happen.

SUMMARY: It turned out to be a ruptured diaphragm inside the fuel pressure regulator and you could just blow air straight through it. The fuel filter looked like it was ready to crack also. The fuel pump was pumping, but did not sound healthy.

After disassembly, I was able to get the bike running by submerging the fuel pump assembly in the gas can, and plugging the hole where the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) goes with a 1/4 inch extension about an inch and a half long with the O-ring from the FPR slipped on. I held it with my thumb and "regulated" the pressure so that the bike would run.

I ordered the steel filter Part #: FIL 3095 Line: NAPA Gold Filters (same as 33095 WIX Fuel Filter ) KEMSO 13001 fuel pump kit (KEMSO Fuel Pump for KTM 690 690R Enduro Duke SMC/SMCR 75007088011 2007-2019), and Quantum Fuel Pressure Regulator for 11-20 BMW C600/650 Sport C650GT #16147724969 Part Number: HFP-PR28.

Will post back after I get the parts and install them.

20210108_151221_small.jpg
20210108_151221_small.jpg (110.38 KiB) Viewed 6334 times

20210108_151236_small.jpg
20210108_151236_small.jpg (342.55 KiB) Viewed 6334 times
Last edited by NNW on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
NNW

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring