My Odometer reset

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

My Odometer reset

Postby Coleman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 pm

I own a 2016 Xtrainer and it has around 2700 miles. (odometer read this a week ago or so). Yesterday while I was out riding I checked the odometer and it read 160 miles under the odometer tab. I don't know how it happened and would hope I can revert the change. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if a new battery would help or not.
Coleman

Re: My Odometer reset

Postby wwguy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:43 pm

The 2016 speedometers were made for Beta by Trail Tech. It's essentially a Trail Tech Endurance II display in a red plastic housing with additional auxiliary lights wired separately to support Beta's turn signals, headlight high beam, oil tank low level sensor, and oil injection failure warning light.

I just checked the speedo on my 2016 Xtrainer and verified that the Endurance II reset method shown in this video will work with the 2016 Beta speedometers. You just have to be a bit creative to translate the 3 button operation on the Endurance II to the 2 button operation of the Beta speedometer, but the workflow is otherwise the same.
wwguy

Postby Coleman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Thank you for the video and advice, I have been able to change the odometer number however when I set it to what I want I don't hit anything until it goes back to the home screen and it doesn't save the odometer number I have set. So is there a way to get it to save or is my device just malfunctioning?
Coleman

Postby wwguy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 am

I just discovered that mine does the same thing, so I don't think yours is malfunctioning. (Although the original problem you reported seems like a malfunction.)

The inability to get the new odometer value to stick might be to lack of the 3rd button shown in the video, but I think it's probably more likely that Beta requested that they lock out this feature due to use as an OEM odometer. But I'm just guessing.

I also just discovered that in tinkering with mine yesterday that the total miles and ART have both reset to zero and I can't change them. It's no big deal for me because this is my second speedometer (the first failed early on due to water ingress) and I only have it installed on the bike for part of the year (in the summer I carry a chainsaw over my front forks and have to remove the speedo for fitment.)

IMHO this speedometer, and the newer Facomsa version on the 2017+ bikes too, are cheap junk prone to water damage, breakage, frequent backup battery failure, and issues like what you're experiencing. For reliable maintenance interval tracking I rely on an inexpensive self-powered aftermarket hour meter with a 10-year lithium battery.
wwguy

Postby Coleman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 am

Yeah, I was starting to think the same thing about the missing 3rd button and how it limits functionality. Problem built to keep you out of it. It is no doubt a cheap system that shouldn't be sold on a bike of its expense.

Do you have any recommendations on alternatives? I would like to keep as much functionality as I can such as the headlight indicator, along with being able to set the odometer to the correct mile range.

Thanks for your help in advance and I apologize that through you trying to help me you ended up resetting your bike as well.
Coleman

Postby wwguy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am

No worries about mine resetting. As I mentioned the values weren't current anyway.

If I was going to replace mine (which I'm not much interested in doing) I'd probably look at the Trail Tech Endurance II. The power and wheel sensor connectors appear to be the same as those used on the Beta-specific version. But you won't get the auxiliary indicator lights, as those connect to the unique 3rd connector with 4 wires on the Beta bikes. I'm not ware of any 3rd-party speedos that have those functions.
wwguy

Postby Coleman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Sorry this response was so delayed, but may I ask if the Trail II would mount to the stock mounting system/position of the current one?
Coleman

Return to Electrical & Wiring