Beta 2017 3 Pin Molex plug

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Beta 2017 3 Pin Molex plug

Postby Alan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Hi.
Swapped out my standard headlight globe for a Cyclops LED. Fits OK but the wiring connection is messy. The original 3 pin plug that connects to the H4 lamp now pugs into the Cyclops lead. The rubber cap wont fit around the Cyclops lamp so it takes up room against the steering head. I want to remove the cable from the rectangular 3 pin Molex style plug, then fit a new plug to the Cyclops unit and reconnect. Gets rid of 1 complete cable and rubber seal and allows me easily to go back to standard if required.
I cannot find the model number of this plug.
Other option is to fit a 3 pin Deutch plug to the bike and then fit the corresponding 3 pin ends to the Cyclops and the standard bulb connection cable. This will definitely be more waterproof and probably a better fix. Does anyone have a model number of the Beta 3 pin plug?
Regards Alan Case
Alan

Re: Beta 2017 3 Pin Molex plug

Postby Deck1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:14 pm

The newer Cyclops bulbs actually split apart so you can reassemble with boot in the middle. I 3M taped the Cyclops module onto backside of number plate, and zip tyed loose wiring. Haven't had a problem with moisture disturbing any of these headlight connections.
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi.
Does anyone know what the purpose of the small parking light in the headlight is for. Since the main headlight is always on it seems redundant.
Alan

Postby wwguy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Alan wrote:Hi.
Does anyone know what the purpose of the small parking light in the headlight is for. Since the main headlight is always on it seems redundant.

By "parking light" I assume you mean the always-on daytime running light? If so, this is required by law on all modern road-legal motorcycles.

In addition to the running light my Beta 300 has both low and high beam lights. Both are controlled by a 3-position switch on the handlebars, which also includes an "off" position. Other than the low wattage running light I'm not aware of an always-on headlight.
wwguy

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:44 pm

In Australia it is a legal requirement for the headlight to always be on when the motor is running. Therefore there is only a high low switch, no off. Makes the parking light redundant. I fitted a cyclops led h4 headlight globe. I swapped the original beta plug for a deutsch plug as i could not find a plug to match the original. Fitted a deutsch plug to the factory headlight so i can swap back easily if required. I removed the parking light as it is part of the original headlight loom.
Alan

Postby babelfish » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:28 am

If your main bulb is faulty you still have the allways on DRL/parking light. Weak but much more than nothing.
babelfish

Return to Electrical & Wiring