Starter issue

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Starter issue

Postby babelfish » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:39 am

FYI: Right after tidying up a lot of electric wire I got problems starting.
The starter motor engaged but gave up just as the motor startes turning. Just short of starting the engine. (and my engine fire very easy)
It was no lack of power but a cut off.
Instrument light and head lights went on for a short blink.
After first try it often failed another attempt, no reaction, for a while.
Battery were good, started fired the engine right up shorting over the relay.
Many hours of fault tracing and the problem were found.
Failure reason: Bad ground on the starter relay.
Fix: New wiring with silcon/multiStrand wire from relay to main ground connection on frame.
Same ground were also fed into the faulty ground wire that went into the main loom.
babelfish

Re: Starter issue

Postby ScruffyDroid » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 am

Good find there! As the bikes get older, they are more prone to earthing/grounding issues. :mrgreen:
ScruffyDroid

Postby FreddyRindos » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:28 am

Hi...If it's always running, the starter relay may be stuck in its energized state or it's getting 12 volts from somewhere it shouldn't or your start switch is sticking/wires get shorted together. When you turned the key on and the starter spun, were you in neutral? Was the clutch pulled in? Will it spin when you aren't in neutral? How about if you don't pull the clutch in?

order pcb
Last edited by FreddyRindos on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddyRindos

Postby babelfish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:45 pm

ScruffyDroid wrote:Good find there! As the bikes get older, they are more prone to earthing/grounding issues. :mrgreen:

I plan a complete redesign of the electrics. A race cabling with som basic light controls/power including a LED friendly rectifier.
Using silcon wiring mutiple ground connectors and waterproof connectors. Might move the CDI too, to further minimize cabling.
Imagine cabling from frame to under seat consisting of 3 wires + main ground and starter cable.
- Rear light,
- brake light,
- start relay signal
- maybe an extra earth wire to the head

By putting the CDI at the head with a printed plastic cover to protect the connector I would get
90% of the wiring concentrated there with coil, generaor, instument panel, fan, swithces and light, all within very short distance.
babelfish

Return to Electrical & Wiring