2016 Xtrainer Wont Start After Rebuild

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

2016 Xtrainer Wont Start After Rebuild

Postby Coleman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:49 am

Hello, so recently I have rebuilt the top end on my Xtrainer. Alongside the new top end I have replaced a lot of things on the bike for the next season including the odometer, wheel bearings, tires, sprockets, chain and I'm sure there is more. All of these things are just general maintenance but I want to include all the things that have been done to it since it ran when I took it apart. Got the cylinder honed at a machine shop, new piston, rings, gasket, etc. I installed the piston myself with the help of my father who has worked around engines his whole life. Went to start the bike yesterday once everything had been installed and it seemed to have very low power trying to start the bike, it would turn over a time or two and then nothing. It was trying but wouldn't. Then after a couple of times with that, it would not turn over at all with the electric start. Also, I would like to mention it only has an electric start. All that the electric start will do now is make a clicking noise when you hit it, nothing else.

I read online that the three most common reasons for the clicking noise can be a bad battery, starter, or seized piston.

I know that the piston was put in correctly and lubed with petroleum jelly to compensate for the oil needing to get back to the engine. The piston is correctly positioned (I read that some people have put them in backwards, mine had a clearly pointing arrow towards the front position.) We have checked through the wiring as something might be unplugged but unless we missed something again, my dad and I could not see anything disconnected, if you have any cables that you know are essential to the bike let me know so I can check again. We thought maybe the new odometer only having 2 connectors instead of the 3 on the OEM odometer was the issue because it might run a check or something but after plugging it back in nothing changed. We tried starting the bike hooked up to a battery charger which I have done before and when doing so the bike starts up on a dime. However this time it didn't change a thing. Charger also said the battery was fully charged even after sitting for 3ish months. We used a handheld connection tester and the battery is reading 12.6 volts which I read online that should be enough power. Bikes got oil in the fuel injector and gas in the tank. Lastly we tried push starting it and although you can hear the piston moving inside it will not start with that either. Only thing I can think is the problem is perhaps the starter but other than that I am left clueless. If anyone can give me any help I would greatly appreciate it because right now its just an oversized paper weight.
Coleman

Re: 2016 Xtrainer Wont Start After Rebuild

Postby LRM » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 am

With the new piston and such, 12.? may not be enough voltage. Charge your battery over night then try. It should have at least 13.6 volts to turn it over. Also, if it doesn't start right away, use the voltage meter and measure the voltage at the battery while hitting the starter button. This will tell you how fare down the voltage goes, indicating that the battery is bad. If the voltage while spinning the motor drops below 11.5 volts, you need a new battery.
The only time you need he 2nd Amendment, is when someone comes to take I away!
LRM

Postby Coleman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am

LRM wrote:With the new piston and such, 12.? may not be enough voltage. Charge your battery over night then try. It should have at least 13.6 volts to turn it over. Also, if it doesn't start right away, use the voltage meter and measure the voltage at the battery while hitting the starter button. This will tell you how fare down the voltage goes, indicating that the battery is bad. If the voltage while spinning the motor drops below 11.5 volts, you need a new battery.

Alright, thank you. Will check and get back with you on this.
Coleman

Postby Coleman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:38 pm

After testing all the connections I have identified that my starter is bad. Anyone have any information on a replacement or possibly a rebuild kit of any sort? It's labeled as a Mitsuba sm-18 12v, however by doing a quick Google search it seems as if that's a universal name.
Coleman

Postby LRM » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:36 am

LRM

Postby babelfish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:32 pm

LRM wrote:With the new piston and such, 12.? may not be enough voltage. Charge your battery over night then try. It should have at least 13.6 volts to turn it over. Also, if it doesn't start right away, use the voltage meter and measure the voltage at the battery while hitting the starter button. This will tell you how fare down the voltage goes, indicating that the battery is bad. If the voltage while spinning the motor drops below 11.5 volts, you need a new battery.

Are we assuming LiFe battery now?
LeadAcid are 100% at 12.7 V. LiFe are 100% at around 14.7 V.
Regulator give max 14 V - 14,4 V
Startet should turn just fine at 12.6 V That's about 80% on a Lead acid wile a LiFe batteri will provide good start current until flat.
babelfish

Postby LRM » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Ni I'm ruling out a bad cell in the battery. The numbers are just close estimates cause not everyone know all about DC power/batteries. :)
LRM

Return to Electrical & Wiring