Handlebar switch gear switch-out

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Handlebar switch gear switch-out

Postby NWEricr » Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Since I don't dual sport my 2018 X-trainer, I wanted to clear up room on my handlebar and improve the reliability of basic switch functions, especially the starter. I wanted to do this after discovering green corrosion in the molex-type connector for the start and kill buttons. Since I don't have a kick starter, this was especially important to me.

My solution was to replace the light switch and MAP switch with toggles and to replace the combined start/stop with individual buttons. One toggle is a 3 pole, 3 position switch for high and low beams. The second toggle is a simple on-off for the wet/dry maps.

I also replaced all the non-waterproof molex connectors to deutz-type connectors from Amazon. I used a 6-conductor connector for the headlight switch and put a matching connector on the OEM switchgear to make it easy to go back to fully street legal. These Chinese connectors were quite inexpensive, but make sure to buy the crimping tool for the terminal ends.

Aircraft and marine wiring is always crimped for reliability. Soldering turns a flexible, multi-strand wire that is resistant to vibration into a single strand susceptible to work hardening and fracture.

Bare wires were covered with braided cable sleeving and adhesive heat shrink. I used 3M linerless splicing tape to waterproof the connectors on the toggle switches. Attached is a color code for the wires I used to do all this. I hope this may help anyone else going down this path.

'18 Beta Xtrainer, '02 KDX200, '02 KDX220
NWEricr

Re: Handlebar switch gear switch-out

Postby oussie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Nice work around. Makes it more reliable.

Bout the bracket, is it home made?

Gr
Arjan
oussie

Return to Electrical & Wiring