DYI trail tech Vapor mount

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

DYI trail tech Vapor mount

Postby Dirt ninja » Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm

I bought a trail tech vapor to replace the busted factory one in my 2016 300rr Race. Bought the one designed for my bike and was pretty disappointed in the fact all they gave me with it was a generic bar mount. Wouldn't even mount to the factory set up. $160 for their armour mount. Unemployed and nothing but time I set out to make my own. I used a bench vise, drill bits, hacksaw, Canadian Tire welder, dremel, a few files, side grinder with zip disc and flapper wheel. Material was a chunk of 2 1/4" angle iron I had kicking around. I cut the main mounting section about 4 1/2" long. The other piece I cut to fit the factory mounting spot on the upper triple clamp. On the mounting surface the Vapour mounts to I cut it in about half with a hacksaw, pinched it in the vise and used the ends of the vise teeth as a guide to cut straight. I didn't want it sticking too much higher than the vapor to minimize things to hit if I went over the bars. Then I welded the spare piece to the bottom of the mount for the Vapor as my angle iron was a but short. I mounted it to the triple clamp and selected the angle for the unit. Off the bike I welded the brackets together then cut the excess off with a zip disc. I drilled a hole in the back for the wires then used my hacksaw to cut the hole bigger and filed and dremeled it smooth. Lots of test fitting and paper templates later and you see the result. Not the best welding job but, damn is this thing solid. I should have taken pictures through out but didn't think of it. I'm going to rhino liner the finished product and hope that hides some of the ugly. Any questions don't hesitated hope that helps someone out.
Dirt ninja

Re: DYI trail tech Vapor mount

Postby Dirt ninja » Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 pm

Pictures
Attachments
20200512_220345.jpg
20200512_220345.jpg (285.71 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
20200512_220349.jpg
20200512_220349.jpg (341.5 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
Dirt ninja

Return to Electrical & Wiring