Speedo/Odo not recording

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Speedo/Odo not recording

Postby vntgmxr88 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Hello all, I just finished re-installing all the original stock lighting and speedo/odo equipment on my 2014 250 RR. I had taken it all off when near new to prevent damage. Anyway, everything seems to be working well, except the speedo/odo unit is not recording speed, milage, or running time. The unit lights up, and changes between screens with no problem. I rechecked the connections and cable routing, and everything looks to be OK. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
vntgmxr88

Re: Speedo/Odo not recording

Postby wwguy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Most likely the speedo sensor target magnet is missing from the front brake rotor, the sensor itself is damaged, or there's an electrical connection issue between the sensor and the speedometer.

The speedometer only records speed, distance, and running time when it detects that the front wheel is turning. I.e. when it's working you can coast downhill all day long with the engine off and it will still rack up runtime hours.
wwguy

Re: Speedo/Odo not recording

Postby vntgmxr88 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:55 am

wwguy wrote:Most likely the speedo sensor target magnet is missing from the front brake rotor, the sensor itself is damaged, or there's an electrical connection issue between the sensor and the speedometer.

The speedometer only records speed, distance, and running time when it detects that the front wheel is turning. I.e. when it's working you can coast downhill all day long with the engine off and it will still rack up runtime hours.

I found the problem, the sensor needed to be threaded into the caliper further. Thanks for your help.
vntgmxr88

Return to Electrical & Wiring