2019 Xtrainer - Removal of light switch / starter / kill swi

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

2019 Xtrainer - Removal of light switch / starter / kill swi

Postby DRCCA » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:09 am

Hi,

New member here. I bought a 2019 XTrainer a few weeks ago and I am really enjoying it (much better than my KTM FreeRide).

I am in California and we can't plate these bikes here, so I am looking at simplifying the electrical system, especially at the handlebar control.

What I would like to to:

• Remove right (start / kill) switch and replace by a simple push switch on the right (for starter) and push switch on the left (kill switch)
  • Remove left light switch
  • Keep the headlight / rear light functioning (always on)
  • Keep the brake light on (my buddies get a kick out of it!)
  • Everything has to be reversible in case the next owner wants it all back on.

I can do a deep dive in the electrical schematic but someone has probably done it before and maybe put up some kind of guide.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DC
DRCCA

Re: 2019 Xtrainer - Removal of light switch / starter / kill

Postby Bones357 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi,

I'm also a new member, and maybe I can help...at least with the light switch. I JUST did this to my new '21 XTrainer.

Removal of the light control is very straightforward. Take it off the bars and follow the wire to the "Molex" connector behind the headlight (obviously you need to remove the headlight). Disconnect the Molex connector and you're done with the switch.

On a side note, the horn switch is separate but attached to the bottom of the light switch ...at least on the '21. You can remove the horn from behind the headlight as well.

You can easily jump the headlight. The Molex connector that's on the bike has FEMALE pins in it. Just make a short jumper using MALE pins. I soldered them to a short piece of standard, #14 wire from romex. Jump BLUE TO PINK for high beam always on, LIGHT BLUE TO PINK for low beam. The whole thing is easily reversible. I'm sure you can also make a jumper without the Molex pins, but I had them on hand.

You're good to go with the tail/brake light...Removing the switch has no effect on it. It will operate normally.

I did not change my start/kill switch, so I can't help you there. But you may find these YouTube vids useful...I did:
https://youtu.be/mOWZMYGWh0I
https://youtu.be/RfRLmEdEH9w

Good luck, and enjoy!!
Bones357

Return to Electrical & Wiring