speedo?? replacement

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

speedo?? replacement

Postby Cruiser » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:50 am

So, my 2016 speedo finally went out for good. I've been able to disassemble and clean out multiple times and get it functional but not this time. Took water in, big surprise I know. I did figure out it was not the body seam but the screen has come unglued from the body. The LCD display has also come unglued. So I'm probably getting a trailtech striker or endurance. Has anyone swapped these onto the beta? any chance the factory plugs work with the replacement? Thinking buying just the replacement head is cheaper and if it plugs in?
open to suggestions, oh, I do need a speedo as I use my 350rr on road. 10 mile ride to trail head makes it suck to have to load into truck. so much quicker just riding over.
Thanks
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Re: speedo?? replacement

Postby wwguy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:44 pm

I've got a 2016 300 two-stroke and gave up on the OEM speedos after having two of them fail due to the same water ingress issue you describe. Nowadays I just use a navigation app on my GPS-enabled phone to track distance and don't have any need to monitor ground speed. I use a separate inexpensive hourmeter to track maintenance intervals.

It's been my observation that the 2016 speedos were made by Trail Tech for Beta and are essentially Endurance II speedometers mounted in a red bezel and wired with additional warning indicators for headlight high beams, turn signals, low fuel level, and FI warning etc. (On the 2 T bikes oil injection tank level and OI system failure lights are substituted for the low fuel and FI lights on the 4T bikes.)

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that the power and speedo sensor electrical connector are the same on both the Beta OEM and Endurance II speedos. But the Endurance II won't have any of the Beta-specific auxilary warning lights mentioned above.
wwguy

Postby Dirt ninja » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:30 pm

I also have a 2016 300rr. But I have the race edition. I emailed trail tech when mine shit the bed. I was told that they didn't make a plug and play unit for my beta. I would have to wire all the sensors in. I grabbed a vapour wired up all the sensors, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a write up on making a super heavy duty cage for it. I've crashed my bike so many times and it's still holding up.
Dirt ninja

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:16 pm

I replaced the Speedo on my 2016 with the newer style from 2019. The dealer (John Lee in the UK) supplied a link cable (mini loom) to connect 2016 plugs to 2019 Speedo for a nominal amount.
ScruffyDroid

Postby Dirt ninja » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Had I been told that, I could have saved some time and money. I do like the vapour though. Pretty sweet unit.
Dirt ninja

Postby Cruiser » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks, I'm probably ordering the Stryker or vapor. I was hoping they were plug and play since mine was a tt product and the head unit without sensors is 50 bucks cheaper. I'll be ordering it shortly. sucks not having a a speedo when driving to the trail on the street.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby GMK999 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:31 am

Not to Hijack but I am having the same issue on our new to us 16 'X
The speedo was not working when we got the bike,The speedo worked but warning lights wouldn't go out.
I checked all components and the oiler, rectifier ,TPS, all read fine with the Multimeter
New speedo bought. $260 OUCH..
Install and now Warning lights are out but the speedo doesn't work (stays at zero mph)
Back to the multimeter and all systems check OK. (wheel sensor, wiring , connections)
Could the new speedo be no Good?
How do I check that? Put it on another Beta? I have a 21 200rr but don't know if they are interchangeable.
Plus I really don't want to pull apart the new(wish) bike.
Recommendations ??
Thanks IA
G
GMK999

Return to Electrical & Wiring