Beta Ignition Map Switch

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Beta Ignition Map Switch

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm in the final stages of prototyping a two-position map switch for the 2013+ Beta 2 strokes ... you four-stroke guys can chime in if you'd like one as well. The current plan is to have it mount just inboard of the clutch master cylinder on the left side of the handlebar.

Pricing and availability as soon as I verify fit-and-finish and function.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Re: Beta Ignition Map Switch

Postby Beta Steve » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 pm

All the other bikes I've ridden with two stage switches of any kind, the difference was less than impressive. With the exception of the Ducati Multistrada I rode a few years back. I believe the three stage switch was somewhere in the neighborhood of 85, 100 and 150 horsepower. Anyone who has done this on the 250 or 300 rr able to comment?
Beta Steve

Postby twowheels » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:53 pm

The switch, as used on the GasGas, was very effective. On one particular hare scrambles course with hard-packed and dry moto sections and slimy roots in black muck I switched back and forth about three times a lap as a means of controlling wheel spin.

Another factor that may play into the equation - the Betas have unique ignitions for the 250 and 300. I'll have a 250 evaluation soon, and hopefully Glenn will enlighten us about his 300 experience.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
twowheels

Postby Hammer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:52 am

I have one on my 300 and find very little difference.
Hammer

Postby GMP » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:27 pm

I've been out today for a bit playing with adjustments, tomorrow going riding in PA with Cruiser from GGRC. Anyway, the map select is, IMO, noticeable and effective to a point. It's effect seems to be more noticeable if the PV adjustment is turned in to tame the bike. The hot map allows the bike to pull into the rev range faster where the PV opens, so it feels faster. If the PV is turned out for a more aggressive hit, it seems less effective. I found out today, looking at the engine manual, that the default PV setting for the 300 is 2.5 turns in from flush, not 1.5 turns like the 250. My bike was set at 1.5, so it felt pretty happy to get on the pipe! 2 turns and up is like total linear power with the soft map. I'm going to leave it there for a ride or so and see how I like it.

In general the 300s will be more responsive to map select than the 250s, if GG experience is relative, which I believe it is as the CDIs are the same hardware. Jetting is also a big player, and anything else that has an effect on power, and even more perceived power. You should always jet the bike on the hot map, so you are accounting for the advanced timing. Betas are no issue here as they come defaulted to the hot map and jetted just about perfect.

Also, you cannot compare effectiveness of this system (ignition advance) to a system like on the Ducati MS(Magnetti Marelli EFI). The EFI has fuel mass tables and other parameters available for tuning in addition to the simple ignition advance table. It's much easier to get dramatic results. I've done map work in the past on a Cannondale, and it was a powerful tool. Don't expect as much on a 2stroke just working with ignition.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 am

GMP wrote: Betas are no issue here as they come defaulted to the hot map and jetted just about perfect.

250 is set on hot map 300 is not.
Hammer

Postby GMP » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 am

Hammer,

How do you know this? No 250/300 differentiation in schematic, switch lead from CDI open, as it was on my 300. Why would CDI firmware be different between the two with regard to map select function? Was yours grounded?
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm

TBM magazine mentioned it.
Hammer

Postby GMP » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:52 pm

With all due respect I don't buy it. Makes no sense, both bikes should be the same with the open wire from the CDI in the frame bundle.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:39 pm

I had my electrical guys make up an ignition map switch and I had a chance to put the two maps to a good test on a 250RR on a challenging hare scrambles course this weekend.

The best back-to-back comparison came on a long grass-track section with lots of switchbacks and off-cambers. I was running in 3rd for the entire section and using the clutch to modulate power. In the stock (open) position a lot of clutch work was required to get the motor on song exiting the tighter corners. Switched to 'hot' the engine picked up revs quicker and required less clutch work.

After a couple laps I decided to quit switching and just left the switch on the 'hot' position for the entire course. If there had been more rain I think I would have used the 'hot' setting in the deeper mud/higher load sections and the stock setting on the root-laced steep side-hills.

Definitely noticeable, and worthwhile to plum the switch in my opinion. What I need to do now is a little design-of-experiments with the PV ...
twowheels

Next

Return to Electrical & Wiring