RR 350 2021 Burning relays

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

RR 350 2021 Burning relays

Postby Sam92 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:08 am

Hello,

Im a new Beta owner who havent had bike for 10 years.
Month ago i bought Beta RR 350 2021, it worked great couple trips then i started to have issues.

It turns check engine lights on sometimes.( last time it was on when just started and then it goed away.)

I have hard time getting it started, it almost runs out off battery when it finally fires up. Even though the battery was just charged. (This started to happen at the same time when temperatures dropped to 0-5 celcius.

Week ago when i was riding it suddenly shutdown while riding and didnt fire up anymore, had to pick it up with a van.
Couple off days i was checking the wiring diagram and measuring everything and i found at that this relay is broken.

I bought a new relay and the bike started after multiple starts. Then yesterday i went to ride again and after 1,5 hours off riding when i hitted a bump the bike stalled again .

I measured that the relay is burned again.
I used OBD to check for codes and only thing i got is: P0560 low voltage etc.

So there must be some contact issue somewhere to spike up amps and burn my relay.

Does anyone have any idea where to look at?
Sam92

Re: RR 350 2021 Burning relays

Postby Sam92 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:25 am

I tried to attach picture but it was too big.
The relay is the black one in the left side off air filter box.
For some reason you cant find on the 2021 model spare parts pictures but in the 2022 model pictures it is?
ACA12115 stamped, oem code: LIGHTS-ECU START RELAY 2
Sam92

Postby webmaster » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:59 pm

Voltage regulator?

Intermittent short on the circuit? Get some magnifying glasses and carefully examine the wire for chafed or broken insulation. Check it twice... ;-)

How old is your battery?

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Sam92 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:01 am

Thanks for your answer.

Last time it burned i realised that the voltage regulator connector was backed off 1/3 way maybe.
The connector is in one piece but it feels like the "claw" doesnt hook up good enough and you can just pull it off without lifting the claw.

Also when you push it on it doesnt click.

What wire you mean to be exact?

I dont know how old the battery is, its the Lithium one with 32Wh 150A. For me it feels like it spins starter properly when fully charged.
While riding the speedo shows some 13,5volts.

How quick these things should fire up in 0 Celcius weather? My buddies Husq 350 Fe starts very quick even it has smaller 24Wh Lithium battery.
Sam92

Postby webmaster » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 am

I would fix the voltage regulator connection. A flakey connection there could be the root cause. I wonder which side of the voltage regulator connector needs work?

I bought a specialized wire crimper and plugs when l added a dual sport kit to an older Italian husky I owned. I purchased this on amazon. You may be able to remove the individual wires and blade connectors from the plastic connector housing and straighten things out. One may be bent or not seated properly. Depending on what is wrong, you might need to replace one of the connectors. But you might be able to repair it.

The wire that should be inspected is all wires fed by the relay. Any short in these would cause an overcurrent situation for the relay.

My experience with lithium iron batteries in cold weather is that they self warm. It helps to hit the starter a couple of times in short bursts then wait a 10-15 seconds before attempting to start the bike.. Or turn on the headlight for a minute or two to "wake up the battery" - get some current flowing. This will warm the battery and increase its ability to produce starting amps in colder weather.

Jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Return to Electrical & Wiring