Fan override switch

Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Fan override switch

Postby Arctra » Sat May 02, 2015 10:59 pm

I want to be able to turn the fan on anytime I want though. Someone on one of the forums mentioned that the thermo switch in the radiator that turns the fan on/off when temps are right temps by completing/breaking the circuit - so inserting a switch between the contacts on the thermo switch should allow an easy override.

I measured the contact pin width and went off to Jaycar to get the right contact plugs, some wire, and a switch. I also got a bit of heat-shrink tube to make things a little more tidy and protect the wire a bit. This is the bit that inserts between the thermo switch contacts and the wiring that powers the fan, and the wire that will head up to a switch up near the steering head stem.

This is the new piece in place. The advantage of doing it this way is that there is no cutting of the stock wiring, and no soldering (which I am particularly useless at doing). If there is ever a problem with the switch I will simply unplug my extensions and plug things back in their original configuration.

I have installed the little switch up in front of the tanl on the steering head stem near the engine map switch that I recently moved and mounted to the steering lock.

Now, whilst the switch is "off" the fan if off until the thermo switch kicks in if the bike gets hot enough. I don't have to worry about boiling the bike because of forgetting to flip the switch. But at any time I can flip the switch "on" and the fan spins up. So when I know I'm going to be doing some slow pace riding where the bike will get hot I can just flip the switch and allow the bike to run longer before it gets too hot. I expect this to be particularly useful in the summer months.
Arctra

Re: Fan override switch

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Sun May 03, 2015 1:30 am

This is a nice setup.. nice pics and all.. but why not just let the fan be on all the time whenever the bike gets hot? I have a fan on my 525 RS and my 300 rr. I kind of like that when my bike gets hot the fan goes on automatically.. What is the benefit you are hoping to get with a cutoff switch?
hawaiidirtrider

Re: Fan override switch

Postby Arctra » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 am

hawaiidirtrider wrote:This is a nice setup.. nice pics and all.. but why not just let the fan be on all the time whenever the bike gets hot? I have a fan on my 525 RS and my 300 rr. I kind of like that when my bike gets hot the fan goes on automatically.. What is the benefit you are hoping to get with a cutoff switch?

The switch is in parallel to the thermo switch so if the switch is off and the bike gets hot the fan will come on automatically still. The manual switch is just if I want to turn the fan on whenever I want e.g. when entering tight single track where the bike is going to get hot enough for the fan to turn on eventually I can preempt it so the bike takes longer to get too hot.
Arctra

Return to Electrical & Wiring