KYB forks into Beta

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: KYB forks into Beta

Postby Hammer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:00 pm

liberse wrote:Thank you for the heads up.
We are leaving on a ten day trip to Michigan Upper Peninsula with both daughters and a bunch of friends, upon my return I will order a Braking POW 106 caliper bracket to adapt the Nissin Caliper. Is that what you have used on your brother conversion?
I will take the forks apart and see if Yamaha spec parts are interchangeable.

Regards.
Liberse.

You don't need a bracket for the Husky forks.
Hammer

Postby liberse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:23 pm

Hammer.

I have tried the original caliper bracket from my Beta Marzochi forks and it is incompatible with the Husky KYB`s. The spacing of the mounting bolts is completely different on the forks lower lug.
A new caliper bracket is required it seems.

Regards,
Liberse
liberse

Postby twowheels » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:44 pm

liberse wrote:Hammer.

I have tried the original caliper bracket from my Beta Marzochi forks and it is incompatible with the Husky KYB`s. The spacing of the mounting bolts is completely different on the forks lower lug.
A new caliper bracket is required it seems.

Regards,
Liberse

Most people were attempting the conversion from Sachs to KYB. It may be that bracket that is required.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Yes that is exactly it. We went through this before and I looked up and posted Beta part #s. The Beta carrier on the Race model is what you need.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Hammer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 pm

I don't have any idea about the Sachs forks but if you have Zokes the bracket from the Zokes bolts on the TC KYBs from Italian Husky. All that is needed is to remove about 3mm of the fork lug bosses.
I have a pair of KYBs TC on my bike and my wifes GaGas witch came with 45 zokes and both Nissian calipers bolt on.
Hammer

Postby mikeywright11 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:18 am

right guys im really stuck.

I have everything I thought I needed. the forks are now in and I took it for my first ride last night.

its not good!!

the wheel seems to move whilst under breaking.

I have made both wheel spacers equal size and spaced caliper mount out to centre it.
I then bought a standard yzf wheel spindle and fitted that. should this spindle not sit all the way through. does this spindle need any modifications to make it fit correctly.

the feeling I get when riding is that the forks are tucking underneath the bike whilst braking.

does anyone know what I have done wrong and anyone that has had the same problem.

is it just poor spacers?

also the other thing Im not sure about is. with the standard Yamaha spindle, if it was to fit all the way through, the wheel spacer on the non braking side should sit against the bigger o/d of the spindle, as it stands now it sits against the fork leg. is this how everyone else's is done?
mikeywright11

Postby ks9mm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 am

did you pay attention to the offset issues? any free play in the wheel?

2014 Beta 300RR
2015 Husky TE125 (sold)
Husky WR300 (sold)
Husky TE510 supermoto sold
ks9mm

Postby twowheels » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:19 pm

mikeywright11 wrote:right guys im really stuck.

I have everything I thought I needed. the forks are now in and I took it for my first ride last night.

its not good!!

the wheel seems to move whilst under breaking.

I have made both wheel spacers equal size and spaced caliper mount out to centre it.
I then bought a standard yzf wheel spindle and fitted that. should this spindle not sit all the way through. does this spindle need any modifications to make it fit correctly.

the feeling I get when riding is that the forks are tucking underneath the bike whilst braking.

does anyone know what I have done wrong and anyone that has had the same problem.

is it just poor spacers?

also the other thing Im not sure about is. with the standard Yamaha spindle, if it was to fit all the way through, the wheel spacer on the non braking side should sit against the bigger o/d of the spindle, as it stands now it sits against the fork leg. is this how everyone else's is done?

You need to use a WR axle.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby basalt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:22 pm

ks9mm wrote:did you pay attention to the offset issues?

Just so I understand, you are wondering if the feeling is due to the geometry change and not any actual play in the wheel/spacers/axle?

Another question would be do we know the fork is in good working order? Spring rate?
'16 500 RS, '06 FE550
basalt

Postby mikeywright11 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Thre forks are in brilliant working order.
I do believe it is something like spacers don't work correctly. Or like twowheels said the wr spindle.
What difference is there with the wr spindle?
To measure the spacers I put in the original spacers and measured the overall length of the arrangement of wheel and spacers.
I then measured the overall distance between the fork legs faces. There was a difference of 4mm.
So I replicated the beta design and shaved 2 mm off each side.
When I put it together there was a slight bit of play in the wheel along the spindle. Maybe 1mm
Does this make it any clearer with the problem I have ?
mikeywright11

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension