need triple clamps with less offset?

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

need triple clamps with less offset?

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 am

I've got a set of 98 RM Showa conventional twin chambers all set up (forks rebuilt and valved by FC, wheel spacers, shims for tripple clamps, caliper adapter and axle). I've used the conventional setup for years on KTM's with great success for rock riding.

Problem is the fork lug offset is too much at 5mm forward, and I'm not aware of anyone that makes a triple clamp for Beta with less offset? I do have a old set from a KTM SX that are 14mm offset but not sure on the stem differences....I'm vaguely remembering someone who used a ktm stem with some machining involved?
katoom400

Re: need triple clamps with less offset?

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:34 am

Andy, I have my OEM set of 20s with stem on the shelf if you want to drop by and measure/compare the differences without pulling yours off.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:40 am

GMP wrote:Andy, I have my OEM set of 20s with stem on the shelf if you want to drop by and measure/compare the differences without pulling yours off.

thanks Glen, I may do that.

I seem to remember someone machining the counter bore in the bottom clamp to get the height needed for the KTM stem to work in the Beta neck...but can't find the thread.....probably have to machine the OD where the steering lock is also.....
katoom400

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:31 am

katoom400

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:03 am

That seems to imply that the KTM stem was modified and used as well as the clamp. I think it might be easier just using the Beta stem in the modified (if needed) KTM clamp.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby katoom400 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:32 am

GMP wrote:That seems to imply that the KTM stem was modified and used as well as the clamp. I think it might be easier just using the Beta stem in the modified (if needed) KTM clamp.

That sounds like a betta option if possible, but you would think he would have investigated that as well.....
katoom400

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 am

Stem in a clamp isn't rocket science. Its a press fit bore and a counterbore on the bottom. Easy to deal with either way. Absolute worst case is KTM clamp is bigger bore, so you get a sleeve made. Less machine shop time than modding a clamp AND stem. Maybe he didn't want to mess with the stock Beta clamp pressing out the stem, and kept it as an assy for easy reversal. Maybe you can get another Beta stem? Not sure, when I got my 23 lower from Steve it came with the stem pressed in.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:51 am

Lower clamps are sold with the stem pressed in place, and unfortunately the stem itself is not available as separate part. When I was experimenting with lower clamp stiffness I made my own stem.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm

Well I could measure up what I have tonight and let you know.

EDIT:

I have an old KTM stem and from what I can tell it's the same as the Beta stem but about 8mm shorter and no steering lock holes. I think the Beta stem will press into the KTM clamp, just can't verify bore without pressing mine apart but I'll bet it fits.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Return to Suspension