300RR or 300 Race Edition??

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

300RR or 300 Race Edition??

Postby oldman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I am a 69 year old single track rider. I currently ride a Xtrainer and it is a great bike, but I am wanting something with better suspension for better control at higher speeds. I will be keeping the Xtrainer and purchasing a 2017 300RR or a 300 Race Edition I'm just not sure if I need the stiffer suspension on the RE model or if I would be better off with the standard suspension on the RR. I don't want my suspension to be harsh on tight rocky single track trail which is my concern with the RE suspension, but I do want to feel confident with it at 4th and 5th gear speeds when the trail opens up.
I am 5' 6 and weigh 160lbs. I don't do any racing anymore except with my friends each time we ride together which is often. My Xtrainer has 332 hrs with 5,172 singletrack miles on it at an average speed of 15mph to give you an idea of how much and at what speed I will be riding the bike.
Standard RR or Race Edition, which will fit me best??
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Re: 300RR or 300 Race Edition??

Postby bikesparky » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I have the racing version and it's not harsh at all. The rear is actually very good and the front was harsh-ish in the beginning due to the wrong oil from the factory. It could be ridden with the clickers fully open.
If you replace the fork oil with good quality 5W as per manual it is a very good fork.
I do ride slow technical stuff and it works really well, on the faster hard compact and rock sections we have here it is very forgiving and stable.
It is as good as my previous Husky FE501 with a complete suspension job done on it.
If in doubt lift the front up and it's all good.

I never ridden the RR version so I can't comment on that.
Another thing to look at is how keen do you want the oil injection?
I don't mind premix so the Racing suits me well.
bikesparky

Postby dirtbird » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:02 pm

oldman wrote:I am a 69 year old single track rider. I currently ride a Xtrainer and it is a great bike, but I am wanting something with better suspension for better control at higher speeds. I will be keeping the Xtrainer and purchasing a 2017 300RR or a 300 Race Edition I'm just not sure if I need the stiffer suspension on the RE model or if I would be better off with the standard suspension on the RR. I don't want my suspension to be harsh on tight rocky single track trail which is my concern with the RE suspension, but I do want to feel confident with it at 4th and 5th gear speeds when the trail opens up.
I am 5' 6 and weigh 160lbs. I don't do any racing anymore except with my friends each time we ride together which is often. My Xtrainer has 332 hrs with 5,172 singletrack miles on it at an average speed of 15mph to give you an idea of how much and at what speed I will be riding the bike.
Standard RR or Race Edition, which will fit me best??

IMO better suspension is better at any speed once it is dialled in to suit your riding hence at the end the question is how much you want to spend.
Personally I chose the standard version because I would like to give oil injection a try and didn't want to wait until the end of the year for the RE.
Also -without saying that is not good- I didn't want the cc Sachs fork nor cared for the different valving of the RE rear shock since I have a Fox RC3 and DalSoggio cartridges for the forks.

Still I don't like the golden uppers but I am getting used to them...... :?
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby GMP » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:18 am

Now that Marzocchi is out of the picture get the Race model. You won't even need springs at 160 lbs. A CC fork will always have more scope with single setup. No OI is a good thing too.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Return to Suspension