xtrainer suspension fixes

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

xtrainer suspension fixes

Postby canamfan » Sun May 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Has anybody heard anything about Beta's upgrade for the xtrainer, such as replacement internals, or different valving?
canamfan

Re: xtrainer suspension fixes

Postby Grip » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:33 am

http://www.betaxtreme.com/index.php?thr ... k-kit.113/

Just heard about this. Anyone have more info?
Grip

Postby XTrainerChuck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am

Has anyone tried this kit yet? I'd be interested in what differences it made and if you thought it was worth it.
I'm not as fast as I used to think I was. ;-)
2016 XTrainer
2015 RX3
XTrainerChuck

Postby 300xtfreek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:58 pm

I had that installed without the K9 spring (if you have sprung to your weight, you don't need it). It feel like the dampening doesn't kick in until about mid stroke. There used to be a dead feel when hitting water bars at speed, that's mostly gone. Need to ride more and to adjust clicker more.
For my kind of riding, slow and techy, this is what I need. There's definitely improvement on the fork action. For you racers, I'm not sure how you'll feel.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Postby XTrainerChuck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks for the update Freek.

I'm not as fast as I used to think I was, but evidently I ride faster than the XT is designed for. There are so many things I like about it coming off a KDX but the suspension is not one of them. Like you, I think I need to methodically work through the adjustments front and rear. I know the clickers make a bigger difference than they did on the KYBs on the KDX. The rear is about the same but that fork isn't suited to my riding style.
I'm not as fast as I used to think I was. ;-)
2016 XTrainer
2015 RX3
XTrainerChuck

Postby 300xtfreek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Chuck,
I don't know what kind of riding you usually do. If you keeps bottom out your fork or suffer from deflection, you may want to try the Boano kit. Which has two springs and independent compression and rebound adjustment.
Most of my riding are slow and techy and this is a nice fit for me. I've also ridden it on a forest road at high speed and it feels very stable, fyi.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:41 am

The xtrainer seems to have a lot of choices for mods these days.. differnt forks..and shocks and internals.. still a bunch just leave it stock.. or just go with springs.. The closed cartridge internals seem to be a good deal.. what four hundred bucks or so? I think it's just up to what you want to do and how much you want to spend. If you want to go fast another more common sense thing to do would be to just get an rr or race edition.. but suspension mods for an xtrainer are great too.. Check the different websites too .. and of course there's google..
hawaiidirtrider

Postby Cruiser » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:43 am

300xtfreek wrote:Hi Chuck,
I don't know what kind of riding you usually do. If you keeps bottom out your fork or suffer from deflection, you may want to try the Boano kit. Which has two springs and independent compression and rebound adjustment.
Most of my riding are slow and techy and this is a nice fit for me. I've also ridden it on a forest road at high speed and it feels very stable, fyi.

Did you do this kit yourself? Easy conversion? One of the guys we ride with went from a yz125 to a xtrainer and loves the bike except for the suspension. He was not a fast rider, but got so comfortable on the Xtrainer he is now pushing the suspension hard. He is looking at the K9 kit. This kit sounds better.He was not ready to move up to a 250 or 300rr when he got this but may be within a year. I think he just needs suspension work as its more than capable motor wise.
Cruiser
16 350RR
04 450/525sx/exc frankenbike
Cruiser

Postby 300xtfreek » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Cruiser wrote:Did you do this kit yourself? Easy conversion? One of the guys we ride with went from a yz125 to a xtrainer and loves the bike except for the suspension. He was not a fast rider, but got so comfortable on the Xtrainer he is now pushing the suspension hard. He is looking at the K9 kit. This kit sounds better.He was not ready to move up to a 250 or 300rr when he got this but may be within a year. I think he just needs suspension work as its more than capable motor wise.

Sorry, I did not see your post until now. The mod is quite simple and the instructions comes with the kit is well written. If a new spring is needed, a spring tool is a much. If not, an impact wrench will work nicely. Or simply use the rod and cap as stopper.
Vincent
300 X Trainer
300xtfreek

Return to Suspension