Rear shock removal

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Rear shock removal

Postby dirtbird » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 pm

There have been varying opinions regarding shock removal in the past.

I had to test my SACHS shock (and do some work on my FOX as well) so there was an opportunity to share my way of removing the rear shock and which I prefer over tilting the subframe.

1) I remove the seat, rhs airbox cover and the silencer. then I remove the rear linkage bolt :

2) I place an object under the rear wheel (which will give me better leverage on moving the swing-arm upwards) and then I remove the shock bolts. At the same time I am cutting the tie-wraps securing the frame plastic protection and tilt the plastic rearwards. I don't have to remove the bolt.

3) As the shock clevis is free from the linkage, I move up (not much) the swing arm and the shock starts to come off the frame-sub frame triangle.
Then it is easy to remove it:

4) Yes, I know.... Even after a dusty ride, remains one of the (if not the...) prettiest bikes around:

Both shocks on the bench. Notice that SACHS piggy sits lower in the body and its slightly longer as well. This makes it a tiny bit more difficult to remove-install but nothing serious though.

5) Installation is just going the previous steps backwards.
Slide the shock from the opening (don't forget to still have the wooden block under the wheel so its not hanging down -this gives the space needed):

Attach the shock top mount (do not tighten the bolt yet) and align clevis to the linkage:

Place lower mount bolt (don't forget to clean and grease both) and then torque them:

6) Finally grease, replace and torque the linkage bolt. Replace frame's plastic cover with new tie-wraps, side cover and silencer.

So this works for me as I don't have to fiddle with connectors and remove air box boot (which I wouldn't with so much dust on the bike....).
Hope you find it usefull, any comments are welcome.

By the way, thanks Steve, Glen and all for the notes on servicing the SACHS . At the end, more useful than the AB manual.
Later I will find out if I did everything correct, statically shock seems to work ok.
Last edited by dirtbird on Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Re: Rear shock removal

Postby Arctra » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:19 am

Nice post mate, thanks.
Arctra

Postby typeone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:31 am

nice, thanks for the detailed post.

i just remove seat, silencer, 4 subframe bolts, shock bolts, then gently move the subframe to the left enough to slide the shock out. the air boot is pliable enough to allow the subframe to be jockeyed over.
'13 250RR / '19 200RR / '22 200RE
typeone

Postby Enmerdeur » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks!

So what is your take on the Fox versus the Sachs?
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby dirtbird » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Enmerdeur wrote:Thanks!

So what is your take on the Fox versus the Sachs?

I think that Sachs can be made to work satisfactory. I just rode mine after servicing it and the only change was that I used a very high quality shock oil.
The difference was big and this sometimes nervous action is not present.
However FOX has more adjustability and definitely that 'expensive' feel, meaning that it can cope with higher speeds/loads.
I can't be more detailed since I want to test them more but FOX build quality is very high and it is also much easier to service.

I believe that this is a quite a subjective matter but I think that FOX worth its money (and personally I would prefer it over an OHLINS).
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby GMP » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've done the same thing on GGs but it was a real squeaker. Was curious if it would work on the Beta. Due for an oil change soon so info is handy. Up until now I just pulled the swingarm and linkage for a service along with the shock, never touched the subframe.

I never rode a FOX Podium shock, but I can say I'm not overly impressed with the latest Ohlins from either the trail or the shop. Crappy adjusters, major crosstalk, nothing else special enough to make up for it. Much prefer the Sachs to the Ohlins.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby redrider » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:17 pm

GMP wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've done the same thing on GGs but it was a real squeaker. Was curious if it would work on the Beta. Due for an oil change soon so info is handy. Up until now I just pulled the swingarm and linkage for a service along with the shock, never touched the subframe.

I never rode a FOX Podium shock, but I can say I'm not overly impressed with the latest Ohlins from either the trail or the shop. Crappy adjusters, major crosstalk, nothing else special enough to make up for it. Much prefer the Sachs to the Ohlins.

The Ohlins you didn't like with GG, was it the 888 or the TTX44? I have both and find it hard to believe Ohlins agreed to put there name on the 888. The TTX is the best I've ridden.
redrider

Postby GMP » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:01 am

It was the 888 on a '12 GG. I guess it was par for the rest of the bike though. Major step backwards from the old style Ohlins and Sachs. If it came on the Beta I'd be looking for a replacement.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby dirtbird » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 am

Just fixed the broken photo links.

Also you can omit cutting the tie wraps and tilting the plastic triangle protector if you cut the part which was intended to protect the front part of the silencer on the 4-strokes. this makes the work easier.

'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby bigoscycles » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:05 am

You can make the Sachs working really good. We actually had a guy take the fox off and put the revalved Sachs back on.
bigoscycles

Location: Clanton, Al. Motorcycle Sales, Service, & Racing Suspension

Next

Return to Suspension