Adjusting your Fastway/Stillwell Performance Linkage Gua

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: Adjusting your Fastway/Stillwell Performance Linkage Gua

Postby Hammer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:30 pm

GMP wrote:
stillwellperformance wrote:The guard wasn't designed with raising the rear in mind.

That I'm sure, but if it was I'd bet you would sell even more.

Yep!
Hammer

Postby GMP » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:42 pm

OK, I measured my +.66/+1.33 inset (each insert has two positions) on the +.66 side, inside edge (thinnest due to taper). 4.34mm. So, take .66mm from that and that's what the minimum thickness should be for the stock position insert (in my bike now). 3.68mm. That seems reasonable to work with. Think we can get a mm or so shorter without making the insert wall too thin? It's captured in the link skid bore tightly anyway. I think it will work.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:15 pm

GMP wrote:Alan,

Do you think its possible to to make a new set of adjustment inserts to shorten the link and raise the rear? Looks close, maybe not enough wall thickness around hole. I think more guys would be interested in doing this for more bite on the front wheel.

Do you know guys that are having not enough bite on the front wheel? I've been thinking the front bites great and turns excellent.. All we have is tight turning around here. . and I maybe raised the front forks up a quarter inch or so.. Are you having problems with turning and front end bite? I don't know anyone locally who wants adjustment to make the front end bite more.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby twowheels » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:28 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:

Do you think its possible to to make a new set of adjustment inserts to shorten the link and raise the rear? Looks close, maybe not enough wall thickness around hole. I think more guys would be interested in doing this for more bite on the front wheel.

Do you know guys that are having not enough bite on the front wheel? I've been thinking the front bites great and turns excellent.. All we have is tight turning around here. . and I maybe raised the front forks up a quarter inch or so.. Are you having problems with turning and front end bite? I don't know anyone locally who wants adjustment to make the front end bite more.

And that's what makes the world go round .... no single set-up works in every condition at every location around the world.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:00 pm

twowheels wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:

And that's what makes the world go round .... no single set-up works in every condition at every location around the world.

Maybe.. it's just a surprise to me because I've not heard of any front end not sticking for Beta 300's so just wondering what situation or setup this is under what kind of terrain. Have you heard of any front end not biting and wanting the rear end higher?
hawaiidirtrider

Postby twowheels » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 pm

hawaiidirtrider wrote:
Have you heard of any front end not biting and wanting the rear end higher?

As a matter of fact yes. The first step is to get the preload adjusted correctly, which for mid-west and eastern conditions seems to be about 95-98mm. The next is to slightly raise the forks. Perhaps the most important is to ride aggressively - head over the headlight aggressively - and the front end can stick like glue. A better tire than the stock Michelin doesn't hurt around here either.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:51 am

HDR,

For the technical survival type stuff its not a big deal, in fact you tend to like the rear a bit softer for compliance. You also tend not to ride weight forward as much. I have many hrs riding it this way myself. This will put you down on the deck in faster, flatter turns if you do not compensate/adjust.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:26 pm

twowheels wrote:
hawaiidirtrider wrote:
Have you heard of any front end not biting and wanting the rear end higher?

As a matter of fact yes. The first step is to get the preload adjusted correctly, which for mid-west and eastern conditions seems to be about 95-98mm. The next is to slightly raise the forks. Perhaps the most important is to ride aggressively - head over the headlight aggressively - and the front end can stick like glue. A better tire than the stock Michelin doesn't hurt around here either.

I've got mine set up around there and I agree that I'll be putting on new rubber front and back. I was not liking the stock tires on our mx track..slippery!! but I was sort of expecting that..(We just had a 2hr trail race that used a good part of the mx track) I just was wondering about what problems you have had with the Beta 300 with front end not biting..That part was good for my bike. I was just wondering because I haven't had that experience or heard of any locally but maybe it's the kind of terrain or different setup or something.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby stillwellperformance » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Here's the link to our video on the guard...

http://youtu.be/VqD8_1zwf6g

Pin It!
Alan Stillwell
Tuner and Factory Mechanic for AMA #1 Cody Webb
@Tunerdude
@stillwellperformance
http://www.stillwellperformance.com
stillwellperformance

Previous

Return to Suspension