Weird sag issue

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Weird sag issue

Postby Dirt Clod » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:02 am

Long story long: Brand new '14, 300rr. Brought her home, proceeded to set static sag. Soon became apparent, no matter how much I cranked down on the spring the sag was not being reduced. Talking like 70mm of static. Not my first rodeo setting up suspension so knew something screwy. Started at the lower shock mount. Removed bolt, slid the shock clevis off the rocker eye expecting to see a dust seal but instead am looking at an open needle bearing. Open as in no bushing either, just the naked needles themselves, with no grease, btw. Looking farther into the rocker eye hole, past the bearing, I see the totally unsupported bushing. The 2 aren't touching.
Take the assembly to my dealer, he's like "WTF", check parts fiche, I'm missing a dust seal and bearing not pressed in correctly. Ordered all new stuff, he pressed in.
Now shock obeying sag set up rules. Obviously, things were binding up. Guessing Guido at the linkage assembly got distracted just as he was doing mine. Everything else down there good. Hopefully just a fluke.
Other than this, I must say very impressed with the build quality of this bike.

Chris
Dirt Clod

Re: Weird sag issue

Postby GMP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:28 am

Be glad you did not ride it! Most stuff is detailed pretty well and the bike fits together nice, but when humans are involved.... Only issues I've had were leaky PV adjuster cover and countershaft orings. Replacement oring cured the PV cover, limiting trans oil fill to 850cc stopped the CS weep.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am

My CS weeps too. Will go the 850 route next oil change. My dealer hasn't got back to me yet on my kickstart lever failing to return. I'll call him today. I'm so happy with the button that I forget about the kicker!
'14 300rr
flybars

Postby dirtbird » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

flybars wrote:My CS weeps too. Will go the 850 route next oil change. My dealer hasn't got back to me yet on my kickstart lever failing to return. I'll call him today. I'm so happy with the button that I forget about the kicker!

Accidentally i noticed the same on the kickstart of my '13 Racing 300 and i thought that the return spring had fallen out of place. After removing th big side cover (and oil and coolant). I found everything in place so i cleaned the surface of the k/start axle put some grease on it and on the inside of the seal ans everything works fine so far.
If i knew that nothing was erong i would have sprayed something oily to see if it gets right.

However if you remove the side cover, have a spare flange and a spare o-ring for the small coolant connecting pipe on the front part of the cover.
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby Hubert Carpet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 pm

flybars wrote:My CS weeps too. Will go the 850 route next oil change. My dealer hasn't got back to me yet on my kickstart lever failing to return. I'll call him today. I'm so happy with the button that I forget about the kicker!

I have noticed some evidence of oil round the cs casing where dust sticks to the casing. I need to check that now that a couple of people have mentioned it. I have only ever used 850cc of oil so it may just be lube throw off the chain but it is evenly spread around the shaft opening, top and bottom.

My kickstart is very stiff and doesn't return. I've only used it once out of curiosity and not needed it since, the starter works 1st time, every time. I'll give it a shot of penetrating oil and see what happens.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby GMP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Make sure the oring is good, collar groove clean, and is in a state of compression, that is you have to push on the sprocket a bit to clear the groove in the shaft and allow the circlip to seat. Mine looked fine, but threw A LOT of oil until I dropped the level.

My starter had a noticable slight drag but always returned. The whole motor had a tight feel before breakin, very nice now. I use the kicker quite a bit so I'm sure it works, as I prefer it for harescrambles starts. Maybe it will loosen up and return if used more. I'd also try loosening and retorquing the cover bolts to 6Nm.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby Enmerdeur » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:34 pm

So Beta has a Guido at the factory like KTM has a Hans that screws things up.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Hubert Carpet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Just whilst we are on the subject, what are peoples' recommendations on sag settings for the 300?

Suspension is a closed book to me so any assistance on settings greatly appreciated.

I am using the following settings, recommended by a UK Beta owner and suspension tuner:

10c 12reb on forks, 24c and 18reb on shock.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby GMP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 pm

105mm
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby flybars » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks everyone for your input! Is the 105mm sag for rider weight plus gear? Haven't set mine yet either.
'14 300rr
flybars

Next

Return to Suspension