Sachs Fork Rebound Adjusters

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Sachs Fork Rebound Adjusters

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:58 am

Like me, most people I have spoken to have had issues with the brass rebound adjusters in the Sachs fork. They are a right royal PIA to refit after taking the caps off and very easy to damage. I have also heard a lot of talk about a Sachs/Beta advisory notice about them but I can find no trace of this anywhere.

So,

1. Does anyone have a link to or a copy of this advisory?
2. Is there a fool-proof method of getting the adjuster back into the cap when refitting the cap?

I recently had my suspension overhauled and I was told that one of the adjusters had not engaged after I changed the fork oil recently. I'm not surprised but I don't want to wreck an adjuster next time as you have to buy a complete fork cap to get a replacement.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Re: Sachs Fork Rebound Adjusters

Postby mtdirtbag » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 am

Hubert; I have not been into the Sachs suspension and in fact have had my Beta for a total of 4 days, but in trying to learn about the Beta and it's suspension I ran across the LT suspension website. Here is the link and they have a tab for tech tips including the Sachs http://www.lt-racing.com/html/sachs_48_fork.html give that a try and see if it's any help.

Tom
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks Tom,

I'd already found that but it's not as good as I was hoping for, especially as the cap is a different type to the current Beta one.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby twowheels » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am

The Sachs advisory on the LTR site refers to GasGas spec forks from the 2009/2010 timeframe. Beta and Sachs introduced a change in the rebound adjuster and fork caps for 2014 - if you're even reasonably conscientious about re-installing them you won't have and issue.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hubert Carpet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Unfortunately, the fix for the 2014 model isn't effective as it is still easier to get it wrong than right. Still room for improvement. Some basic instructions in the OM or the availability of a decent workshop manual for the fork would remove any margin for error.
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby Enmerdeur » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:35 pm

So I am having an issue with my rebound adjuster. I am changing springs in my 300 and everything was going well until I went to adjust the rebound after re-assembly. I went to adjust he rebound all the way in in order to then back it out. I turned it a bit and then it stopped clicking and the adjuster just spun. Took the cap back off and found that the brass adjuster threaded its self out of the cap. I was able to get everything back together in the cap and have backed the rebound all the way out. Haven't yet tried it again.

What am I a doing wrong?
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Enmerdeur » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Never mind. I am stupid. Didn't have the lock nut backed all the way down so the cap wasn't threading all the way into the rod.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby Hubert Carpet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 am

Hubert Carpet wrote:Unfortunately, the fix for the 2014 model isn't effective as it is still easier to get it wrong than right. Still room for improvement. Some basic instructions in the OM or the availability of a decent workshop manual for the fork would remove any margin for error.

I'm glad it's not just me then! Come on Beta/Sachs, let's have some proper manuals.

On an allied fork subject, the metal circlips at the base of the fork body that the guards run against are wearing very badly on my 300RR and have developed flats down to the surface level. They are stupidly expensive as spare parts in the UK, about $10 each !!! I also think that the guards themselves are too flimsy and don't offer real protection in the rocky environment I ride in. So, I am doing the following:

1. Replacing the guards with aftermarket KTM ones by UFO that are very solid and split at the rear so that you can get them on and off with the forks in situ. The mounting points on the Sachs are identical to WP.

2. Replacing the circlips with WP fork protection rings from the standard KTM open cartridge units. KTM part #

48600698 FORK PROTECTION RING

Anyone done anything similar?
2020 200RR.
Hubert Carpet

Postby GMP » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:14 am

I added narrow stainless hose clamps with a cable tie underneath(as a spacer) to the fork (Marzocchi) above the stock wear ring. I'm currently waiting for the SKF scrapers to come in that will also function as a wear collar. I tried Acerbis guards for a KTM, but had trouble with the brake hose mount and a tight fit up top.
fork.jpg
fork.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 12059 times
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Return to Suspension