Subtank bars 48mm Sachs

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Subtank bars 48mm Sachs

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 am

I'm working with TGT to find a set of subtank bars for my 300RR. Had my Sachs forks revalved by PlusOnePerformance, and like them, but I might have told Steve just a bit on the stiff side. Subtank bars might be just the perfect application for this, as I rode a buddy's 570 Husaberg with some and the forks were quite impressive.

Also, as a taller guy (6'1") I find the stock bars to have too much sweep, a flatter KTM bend TGT bar looks to be much more to my liking. Stay tuned.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Re: Subtank bars 48mm Sachs

Postby GMP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:29 am

They work very well on forks that have a low internal volume/high rate of pressure increase with travel, like the WP43s. I made my own for my '03 with self draining tanks and adjustable flow. Never felt the need on anything since. The idea is to eliminate or reduce the effect of the airspring under certain fork speeds, this is done by opening the aux volume of the tanks with the needle valve. A straight tank with no valve is just like running a very low oil level. I'd play with the valving a bit more first, it keeps things simple.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I'm working with TGT to find a set of subtank bars for my 300RR. Had my Sachs forks revalved by PlusOnePerformance, and like them, but I might have told Steve just a bit on the stiff side. Subtank bars might be just the perfect application for this, as I rode a buddy's 570 Husaberg with some and the forks were quite impressive.

Also, as a taller guy (6'1") I find the stock bars to have too much sweep, a flatter KTM bend TGT bar looks to be much more to my liking. Stay tuned.

If you can spare them for a day or so send them back and I'll tweak them in.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks, Steve. I may take you up on that, let me ride it a bit more to make sure of what I want. It works great, I'm just backed out fully on compression. Thought I'd get the shock set up first before touching the forks again. I really should just drive over there and we can wrench and go for a ride, my sticker is good in Michigan until the end of 2013!
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."
Hawkeye

Postby twowheels » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Thanks, Steve. I may take you up on that, let me ride it a bit more to make sure of what I want. It works great, I'm just backed out fully on compression. Thought I'd get the shock set up first before touching the forks again. I really should just drive over there and we can wrench and go for a ride, my sticker is good in Michigan until the end of 2013!

That sounds like a great plan. I'm going to be doing some work with the PFP system to see if we can't make that more usable for off-road mortals.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 am

Evan contacted me a couple months ago about testing lighter PFP springs on the GG, but there were too many back to back races to mess with it. Other than that you would have to mod the assy to reduce the minimum preload from the current 7mm. PFP has a huge range of adjustment but is only useful for a couple turns. Last time I talked to Les he thought Marzocchi got it right with higher initial cartridge pressure to reduce cavitation during short length, high piston speed movements in the top of the stroke. Dropping main spring preload down to 1-2mm, just enough to hold the spring, as a form of compensation has worked well for me on the GG version. I will do the same here after break in.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Return to Suspension