Fitting SSS forks off a Yamaha

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: Fitting SSS forks off a Yamaha

Postby Hammer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 am

Is that a Trackmaster tire?
Hammer

Postby Motumatai » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks for detailing all your work. Its going to make my conversion sooo much easier :D
Motumatai

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Motumatai wrote:Thanks for detailing all your work. Its going to make my conversion sooo much easier :D
Hammer wrote:Is that a Trackmaster tire?

No probs Motumatai that was the whole idea of the thread straight to the point one stop.

No Hammer its a MX Retread local company here in Western Australia, they are very similar to a older dunlop D752 in pattern, the fronts are awesome and work very well.
Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:02 am

Got a ride yesterday in some very slippery dry ball bearing gravel and rocky hills lots of rocks. Ran the Comp at 16 out and the rebound at 14, the forks were smooth with no deflection or jarring of any sort. They use up a bit to much of the initial stroke to quickly I think this is more a low preload issue than anything else.
Very happy so far I have had an injured wrist for a while now and wear a brace. Normally I adjusted my OC forks to hold up and be a little firmer as I don't like mushy suspension, for the most part they worked well however every now and then I'd get a jar through the bars that would hurt my wrist. These forks didn't do that once so I'm impressed and happy so far. More testing to come and a picture of the speedo sensor I managed to shoe horn into the braking brake hanger.

MM
Marty Moose

Postby Yrocmoto » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 am

What are the size of the wheel spacers needed? I am planning to turn down the YZ spacers, will that work? I just need to know the new widths.

2007 YZ250 Forks (turned down uppers to 54mm)
Yrocmoto

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:29 pm

I'll measure them for you. GP said he used modified KTM spacer in a thread I thought. I bought a set of hyde racing and they don't fit you have to modify by adding spacers to suit. Rang him and he said they suit the longer Yamaha axle which I can't find!!! There are two part numbers for SSS forks axles up to 2014 when they went to a larger axle. I've tried both with his spacers and neither work out of the packet.

MM
ps I'm going to make my own soon just waiting on some tooling I'll post up pics once I'm done.
Marty Moose

Postby Gibnut » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Martymoose, any updates on spacers? I'm about to pull the trigger on a cheap pair of SSS off a 2009 YZ-F.
Thanks
Gibnut

Postby bikesparky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Gibnut wrote:Martymoose, any updates on spacers? I'm about to pull the trigger on a cheap pair of SSS off a 2009 YZ-F.
Thanks

Boano sells the kit separate now. It has the spacers, caliper bracket and so in it.

http://www.betaboano.com/cgi-bin/archivio/Kit_adattatore_pinza_e_distanziali_Kayaba_48_1956.asp
bikesparky

Postby Gibnut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks, Bikesparky! Jeez, Boano do good shit.
Gibnut

Postby wwguy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm

That Bonao kit is for Husky KYB forks. The caliper bracket measurements are in the instructions posted at the same link.
wwguy

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension