Dirty fork oil syndrome

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: Dirty fork oil syndrome

Postby twowheels » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 pm

The forks got longer somewhere along the way, so the upper tubes are longer, but I believe the new tubes will work with your 2013 internals. I'm hoping that the new anodizing process on the 2019 RE legs finally addresses the "dirty oil syndrome".

I refreshed a set last night that had just had the upper tunes hardcoated. We use KYB 01M which is nearly clear, and this oil came out just slightly cloudy, likely from flushing the last oxide from the valve stacks.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Jallopy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:53 am

twowheels wrote: I'm hoping that the new anodizing process on the 2019 RE legs finally addresses the "dirty oil syndrome".

I was hoping the same thing when I purchased my 2019 Beta with OC ZF forks But I am sad to say after only 60 hours the fork oil comes out black and it has the tell tale oval wear mark thru the anodising .
This is disappointing

Oh by the way this is the second fork oil change ... the first one came out normal.

I hope this is just a one off but i dont think so as the manufactured dates on the upper ZF legs are both different.
Jallopy

Postby twowheels » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Jallopy wrote:
twowheels wrote: I'm hoping that the new anodizing process on the 2019 RE legs finally addresses the "dirty oil syndrome".

I was hoping the same thing when I purchased my 2019 Beta with OC ZF forks But I am sad to say after only 60 hours the fork oil comes out black and it has the tell tale oval wear mark thru the anodising .
This is disappointing

Oh by the way this is the second fork oil change ... the first one came out normal.

I hope this is just a one off but i dont think so as the manufactured dates on the upper ZF legs are both different.

The OC forks have black tubes, so I guess I wouldn't think anything changed. The CC forks are a light gold, and promotional material suggests that teh anodizing has been addressed, but I guess that too remains to be seen.

Gotta go - off to pick up another set of tubes at the hardcoater.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
twowheels

Postby Jallopy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm

This is part of the specification on BETA MOTORCYCLES AUSTRALIA web page for the 2019 RR 350/390/430/480

CHASSIS
New ZF Sachs (ø 48 mm) fork with new adjustment system: allows positioning of the compression, rebound and spring preload adjusters on the upper fork cap; they can be reached while sitting on the bike and do not require tools. The fork also benefits from a new packing system which ensures greater stability and a slider with special anodizing that reduces friction and increases durability

This is the oil from my 2019 ZF fork

Hey twowheels it looks like you will be hard anodising Beta forks for many years to come.
But I am glad you have found a simple solution to this ongoing problem.
Jallopy

Postby moto367 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Could it be that Beta is just using up inventory of the old tubes? The Italian Husky used to do that sort of crap. Maybe it's an Italian thing
moto367

Postby Leon_RR250 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:46 am

Definitely this is not happening with every OC fork. Did not have it with 2013 with 95 hours, 2015 with 137 hours, 2016 with 110 hours and currently with 2018 forks with 110 hours after 3 oil changes. Not even with red 2012 CC Marzocchis with 135 hours. After few hours of use I will change again the oil and all bushes and seals. I had such crappy oil within few hours of use with a 1998 Marzocchi Magnum 45 when I bought the GG with more than 150 hours of use.
Leon_RR250

Postby twowheels » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 pm

We did another couple sets this week. Looks like the kids will get to go to college after all :D :lol:

For the cost of a set of custom graphics you can look after the issue, and while you're at it I can valve your forks.

Here's what one rider recently said:

"First of all, hard coated tubes and suspension are awesome! Took my first ride on the suspension and cannot believe how much more stable the front end feels through the rocky boulder filled trails I ride. I have so much more confidence riding up steep, loose rocky trails - bike tracks straight as an arrow now. I actually have to get used to this now - no more deflecting and trying to kill me. Anyways, job well done sir."
twowheels

Postby oldman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:56 am

17 300RR OC forks. I sent my fork uppers and inner cartridges to twowheels for hard coating at 130hrs on bike because at each service the fluid was coming out filthy dirty. I now have 290+ hrs on bike. Serviced forks yesterday for the 3rd time since hard coating and found the fluid to still be coming out pristine clean. Forks working great. Best suspension investment I have made.

Thanks twowheels for finding the fix for Beta's "Dirty fork oil syndrome".
Current rides, 21 Beta 200RR, 19 Beta 500rrs, 01 Honda 200r, 99 GasGas TXT321, 82 Yamaha YZ490, 83 Yamaha YZ250, 59 Harley Davidson ST165,
Past rides to long to list.
oldman

Postby drdfblackm » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep....2015 500....leaking fork seal....black oil of death. Damn!!!!!
drdfblackm

Postby Lonesome Dave » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:12 am

I don't know much about this so.......

The dirty fork oil syndrome is a brown chocolate colored oil, not black. I recently changed oil in my 2016 4t forks. I can say I should of done it sooner.
They had lots of miles on them. The oil was black and terrible looking, not brown colored. I looked inside the tubes and all looked fine. I'm going to change the oil again just so everything is cleaned out. I talked to my dealer about it. He thought with the amount of miles I had on the forks, he thought it was pretty normal.

Others here know much more about this than me!
Older - Wiser - Faster !
Lonesome Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension