Dirty fork oil syndrome

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Re: Dirty fork oil syndrome

Postby bikesparky » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Good outcome. My forks are still fine at 140 ish hours. I run the lower pinch bolts a little looser and the top ones a little tighter maybe this is the key if its and issue.

MM

I checked that countless times by now and when I use my torque wrench the paint marks line up exactly as per factory.
I'll leave them a little looser in the future but I don't think that's the issue unless someone goes crazy on them.
It's a round tube, if it's not made out of recycled toilet paper is should hold up to some abuse.
The KYBs have the same diameter tube and they don't seem to have a problem.
bikesparky

Postby mike307 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:54 am

hey .. so this is my 16 250rr with OC fork, outer tube with 90hours , clamps by manual tightened and aligned ..
Attachments
P10100541.jpg
P10100541.jpg (293.84 KiB) Viewed 8981 times
mike307

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:40 am

mike307 wrote:hey .. so this is my 16 250rr with OC fork, outer tube with 90hours , clamps by manual tightened and aligned ..

Yep, that's the one. Well and fully worn.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby mike307 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

any solutions ? i think its not fixable .. but why to buy new oem outer tube when its a problem with the coating ..
mike307

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:43 pm

bikesparky wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:Good outcome. My forks are still fine at 140 ish hours. I run the lower pinch bolts a little looser and the top ones a little tighter maybe this is the key if its and issue.

MM

I checked that countless times by now and when I use my torque wrench the paint marks line up exactly as per factory.
I'll leave them a little looser in the future but I don't think that's the issue unless someone goes crazy on them.
It's a round tube, if it's not made out of recycled toilet paper is should hold up to some abuse.
The KYBs have the same diameter tube and they don't seem to have a problem.

Maybe its a clamp issue as people are eluding to. I run the uppers at KYB specs 21nm (memory) the lowers at 12nm

MM
Marty Moose

Postby mike307 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 am

hey marty .. my clamps was tightened by manual 17nm up and 12nm down . Maybe the bushings are to hard or the coating is soft or both .
mike307

Postby JoeMaico » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:26 am

I received my forks back from my Dealer yesterday. They inspected them, and took pictures for Beta. The consensus was that there was no signs de-lamination of the anodizing, or any other signs of abnormal wear. They did not separate the tubes, because the stock seals were still on it. I guess they decided not to after looking at the oil, which was still clean. This is what I would have expected – because I only had 5 hours on it since I last changed the oil when I took them in.

However, Beta wants to be sure that there are no issues – so they asked me to go out and ride it and come back after I have put 20 plus hours on it. They will repeat the inspection process (again under warranty) and see if anything has changed that would warrant addressing from a repair or replacement perspective. I changed the first fluid at around 25 hours, and that is what resembled Chocolate Malt when I dumper it out. So, after I put 25 hours or so on it, I will take them up on their offer. If it is clean and issue free the second time, then I will chalk it up to what Beta first thought the issue was (contaminated springs fouling the oil). If it is not, then Beta will have something they can analyze and resolve.

I will say it again – Beta has gone above and beyond to make sure my concerns are addressed. I know of no other Manufacturer that takes Customer Satisfaction to that level. Because I have multiple two-wheeled interests, it will be awhile before I can get 25 hours on the Beta. I let my Dealer know that, and he said no problem. There is no time limit on the offer. Again, confirming what I already knew – that I made the right choice with my purchase.

I will report the findings after the second inspection effort.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby mike307 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 am

So after good check my slaves are yunk , going to order new ones , And what about the black one from 14-15 model ? are they better coating wise or i need to get the gold ones form 16 or 17 model ..And my problem was that the lower clamps was not on 12nm , they were on 17nm and the top was 20nm .. my torque wrench is in trash :(
mike307

Postby dirtbird » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 pm

JoeMaico wrote:I received my forks back from my Dealer yesterday. They inspected them, and took pictures for Beta. The consensus was that there was no signs de-lamination of the anodizing, or any other signs of abnormal wear. They did not separate the tubes, because the stock seals were still on it. I guess they decided not to after looking at the oil, which was still clean. This is what I would have expected – because I only had 5 hours on it since I last changed the oil when I took them in.

However, Beta wants to be sure that there are no issues – so they asked me to go out and ride it and come back after I have put 20 plus hours on it. They will repeat the inspection process (again under warranty) and see if anything has changed that would warrant addressing from a repair or replacement perspective. I changed the first fluid at around 25 hours, and that is what resembled Chocolate Malt when I dumper it out. So, after I put 25 hours or so on it, I will take them up on their offer. If it is clean and issue free the second time, then I will chalk it up to what Beta first thought the issue was (contaminated springs fouling the oil). If it is not, then Beta will have something they can analyze and resolve.

I will say it again – Beta has gone above and beyond to make sure my concerns are addressed. I know of no other Manufacturer that takes Customer Satisfaction to that level. Because I have multiple two-wheeled interests, it will be awhile before I can get 25 hours on the Beta. I let my Dealer know that, and he said no problem. There is no time limit on the offer. Again, confirming what I already knew – that I made the right choice with my purchase.

I will report the findings after the second inspection effort.

joe

Sorry but I don't get it....

They inspected what?
That your oil is not blackened yet?

If the springs are responsible for your oil getting black quick, then you need polished springs or at least when you change oil to clean them thoroughly.
But if you want to have the internal anodization of your uppers inspected, then tubes should be separated.
This has no side effects on seals and scrappers which are staying on the lowers (which should be cleaned etc. etc.) and do not have to be removed.
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby twowheels » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I'll buy you a chocolate malt if the oil comes out clean in another 25 hours ;)
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension