excessive play in fork

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

excessive play in fork

Postby theo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Hey,
I'm looking for opinions and experiences with what I think is excessive play between the inner and outer tubes of the fork, both sides. Here are the details:
-'17 300 RR with about 60 hours
-when the bike is on the stand I can move the front wheel and actually see play at the dust seal.
-as of the last ride, I could start to feel it through the bars in any terrain. They almost feel "rattley", if that makes sense...
-it isn't the head bearings
-no oil is leaking
-about 6 hours ago, I sent the fork back to the dealer about this issue AND dirty fork oil. He changed the oil and seals (for free) and told me everything inside looked good and within spec. I believe him, he showed me photos of the bushings. There was still some play when he returned them, but its gotten worse.
-I've compared it to other bikes with similar hours/riding style and none of them have this issue. I definitely think this is abnormal.

Anybody encounter this before or have an opinion? I've read the dirty oil thread so I'm familiar with this issue, I'm mostly concerned with the play at this stage.

Thanks!
theo

Re: excessive play in fork

Postby bikesparky » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm

My CC forks did the same at 60hrs. Worn tubes in my case.
Get them in to Beta and try to get warranty, I did warranty and the tubes replaced.

The bushes and seals are the same as KTM WP forks and are good quality, for some reason the tubes are crap.
It is possible that the bushes are worn at 60 hrs or less but they need to be taken apart to asses the damage.
bikesparky

Postby theo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for that. I suspected that's what is going on. I will check the oil again tonight to see how dirty it is. I will get ahold of my dealer(...again) and run it by him. I should put his phone number on speed dial...
theo

Postby Enmerdeur » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 am

I would replace the bushing and see if it is still there. Under normal circumstances what you are describing are worn bushings. If the fork tubes are worn like sparky states that is a more serious issue.
2017 KTM 450 XCF
2014 Beta 300 RR
Enmerdeur

Postby theo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 am

according to the dealer the bushings are fine. I have no experience with this tuff so I'll take his word. He did send me pics of the bushing when it was last out (10 hours ago) and it looked OK. I've attached 2 pics: 1 of the oil dripping out (it was changed 10 hours ago) & 1 of the bushing during the last service. Any thoughts?

On another note...when I got the fork back from the last service, the tubes had been "cross-hatched" by the dealer. Both tubes have a very fine scratch pattern all over them...normal?
theo

Postby bikesparky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:52 pm

If the bushes are OK the outer tubes inside is worn.
That was the issue with mine.
When the forks got dismantled and inspected the bushes looked like new but the anodizing from the inside of the outer tube was gone and the underlying aluminium worn away too.
The sludge from this in the oil scratched the chrome from the inner tube also and both tuber got replaced under warranty.
bikesparky

Return to Suspension