putting on a new Shock spring / taking shock out

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

putting on a new Shock spring / taking shock out

Postby brantsdad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:30 pm

trying to set sag on the 4.8 spring at 235 lbs is like Santa giving up Ho Ho's.... not gonna happen so ordered a heavier spring from Dave at Get Dirty... is it hard to get the shock out ?

It looks like just take the seat off and take out the 2 subframe bolts at the bottom and swing it up ? any tips or suggestions ?
2013 300RR
2004 Husqvarna 167 (125 big bore) I should have never sold her
brantsdad

Re: putting on a new Shock spring / taking shock out

Postby twowheels » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:32 pm

It depends if you're in a hurry or not. It's usually best to remove the silencer as well because they can be a pain to get restarted, and since you have to loosen the top two bolts you might as well remove them and just draw the subframe straight back so you don't strain the airboot lip ...
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby brantsdad » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 pm

twowheels wrote:It depends if you're in a hurry or not. It's usually best to remove the silencer as well because they can be a pain to get restarted, and since you have to loosen the top two bolts you might as well remove them and just draw the subframe straight back so you don't strain the airboot lip ...

thanks that helps :)
2013 300RR
brantsdad

Postby dirtbird » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:33 pm

No need to remove subframe (or its bolts). If you remove the silencer, there is 'nough space (and air boot flex) to twist it and get it out from the RHS.
When you replace the shock it helps if you remove the gas tank so you can guide easier the shock's top mount to the frame.
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby twowheels » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 pm

dirtbird wrote:No need to remove subframe (or its bolts). If you remove the silencer, there is 'nough space (and air boot flex) to twist it and get it out from the RHS.
When you replace the shock it helps if you remove the gas tank so you can guide easier the shock's top mount to the frame.

If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the tank, why not just remove the subframe? Heck, you can remove the tank AND the subframe :lol:
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby brantsdad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 am

twowheels wrote:
dirtbird wrote:No need to remove subframe (or its bolts). If you remove the silencer, there is 'nough space (and air boot flex) to twist it and get it out from the RHS.

If you're going to go to the trouble of removing the tank, why not just remove the subframe? Heck, you can remove the tank AND the subframe :lol:

so your saying I got options :lol:
2013 300RR
brantsdad

Postby GMP » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:42 am

A 4.8 spring for 235lbs. :shock: And it turned? Wow wait till you get it right!

Why not pull the swingarm and linkage for a grease job while your there, then it just drops out easy.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby dirtbird » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am

twowheels wrote:

Its obvious that you haven't remove the subframe or the shock before.

To remove the tank, you have to remove the seat (ie push the button-15 secs), unfasten the gas hose (5 secs) and finally remove the 2 tank bolts and the 2 lower shrouds bolts (2 mins max). All in all, less than 3 minutes and about the same to replace all.

Do you want me to tell you what work is involved to remove the subframe or ru willing to find yourself?

Hint: to remove the shock from the top, you don't have to remove the s/frame but only the 2 lower bolts and then pivot it upwards. Still there are some more things to do....

;)
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby brantsdad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:16 pm

dirtbird wrote:
twowheels wrote:

Its obvious that you haven't remove the subframe or the shock before.

To remove the tank, you have to remove the seat (ie push the button-15 secs), unfasten the gas hose (5 secs) and finally remove the 2 tank bolts and the 2 lower shrouds bolts (2 mins max). All in all, less than 3 minutes and about the same to replace all.

Do you want me to tell you what work is involved to remove the subframe or ru willing to find yourself?

Hint: to remove the shock from the top, you don't have to remove the s/frame but only the 2 lower bolts and then pivot it upwards. Still there are some more things to do....

;)

So what are the torqe values for the uppper and lower shock bolts.. (since we're on the subject) thinking ballpark aroung 90 ? thinking I will remove the tank... but it's kind of a pain since I have the IMS and it's a little more involved... Dave recommended a 5.2 and it's on the way...
2013 300RR
brantsdad

Postby dirtbird » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:40 pm

brantsdad wrote:
So what are the torqe values for the uppper and lower shock bolts.. (since we're on the subject) thinking ballpark aroung 90 ? thinking I will remove the tank... but it's kind of a pain since I have the IMS and it's a little more involved... Dave recommended a 5.2 and it's on the way...

Shock bolts are 70nm and linkage 90nm. Have not any experience with the IMS but i think that you don't have to remove the s-frame, only the 2 lower, the silencer and undo the carb intake collar.
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Next

Return to Suspension