Beta Fork Legs/Axle lugs to KYB SSS

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Beta Fork Legs/Axle lugs to KYB SSS

Postby needforspeed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:44 am

As the title says, has anyone ever tested the Beta Sachs Axle lugs fitment to Kayaba 48mm Innertube?

I have done few SSS conversions for Beta in the past, but I have always used Yamaha lugs with either wheel spacers or with Yamaha wheel. As we all know 35mm offset is rare in Kayaba except Italian Husky, but you still need brake caliber bracket and shave some material from wheel spacers with that as well.

KYB innertubes are difficult to remove from axle brackets in used sets(there is Pin dowel with 5mm HEX and it usually destroys the threads). But you can find KYB innertubes new fairly cheap and Beta also sells axle lugs/fork legs separately:
020343110000 L.H. FORK FOOT
020343310000 R.H. FORK FOOT

Thanks for your input!
needforspeed

Re: Beta Fork Legs/Axle lugs to KYB SSS

Postby Motumatai » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 pm

I looked at doing this, but I think the big difficulty would be that the lug machining for the inner cartridges are completely different. So you would have to stay with the Zoke inner cartridge, which defeats the idea of going KYB in the first place.
Motumatai

Postby needforspeed » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 am

I ended up with KYB A-Kit/Dal Soggio Sphere hybrid forks with Beta OEM fork legs. All bolt-on parts, no machining needed.

and here they are ready to install:
needforspeed

Postby ddragon76 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

So KYB lowers bolted to Beta lugs? Or you used Beta lowers with KYB upper tubes?
ddragon76

Postby needforspeed » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 pm

ddragon76 wrote:So KYB lowers bolted to Beta lugs? Or you used Beta lowers with KYB upper tubes?

KYB innertubes bolted to Beta lugs, thread is the same. Both tubes inner and outer are KYB.
needforspeed

Postby Crower » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:37 am

From which bike brand come the Kayaba fork?
Crower

Postby needforspeed » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 am

Crower wrote:From which bike brand come the Kayaba fork?

These are Yamaha YZ 4-stroke 14-> KYB A-kit fork inner and outertubes and Dal Soggio set is ordered for Beta(to get a correct oil locks and rebound adjusters for Beta fork legs).
needforspeed

Postby Johnny Depp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am

That is an impressive set of hardware. So by using Beta lugs there are no special caliper hanger changes or spacers required. Just a bolt up?

The KYB internals can be top notch, what prompted Dal Soggio? I know they have a great reputation. Please clarify what you meant about a Beta kit rather than KYB Yamaha kit? Thanks for the photos, have you got any of them installed?

Let us know once you get a chance to ride and sort them. Cool project. How much is this all going to cost?
Johnny Depp

Postby Crower » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am

needforspeed wrote:
Crower wrote:From which bike brand come the Kayaba fork?

These are Yamaha YZ 4-stroke 14-> KYB A-kit fork inner and outertubes and Dal Soggio set is ordered for Beta(to get a correct oil locks and rebound adjusters for Beta fork legs).

Do you know which more Kayaba forks that can fit? And do you have the measurements for upper and lower tubes?
Is it 56mm upper and 54mm lower?
Crower

Postby needforspeed » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Johnny Depp wrote:That is an impressive set of hardware. So by using Beta lugs there are no special caliper hanger changes or spacers required. Just a bolt up?

The KYB internals can be top notch, what prompted Dal Soggio? I know they have a great reputation. Please clarify what you meant about a Beta kit rather than KYB Yamaha kit? Thanks for the photos, have you got any of them installed?

Let us know once you get a chance to ride and sort them. Cool project. How much is this all going to cost?

Yep, full bolt on kit, no machining and you can use original triple clamp, brake caliber, wheel and offset stays the same.

I have few KYB kits in my stock and one at the moment mounted to my RR430. Problem is that with Beta lugs, you cant get KYB internals/rebound adjusters work without custom machined adapters/parts. Thats why the Dal Soggio kit must be purchased specifically for Beta, so it bolts on straight to Beta axle lugs(Dal Soggio Sachs hydraulic stops/oil locks and rebound adjusters are on the left on the first photo).

I like KYB SSS forks very much and have them pretty much dialed in for me, but I have Dal Soggio Spheres in my KX450 instead of air fork and they perform very very well so wanted to test these in my Beta. When you have good working fork cartridges and you add into that new A-kit tubes with all the coatings to minimize the friction, these should be next level. We will see when the weather gets better so I can test these.

Total price is little less than new WP CV forks, when you add all the costs. I got pretty good prices from finnish Dal Soggio importer, they ordered also all the KYB hardware directly from Technical Touch Belgium for my doorstep.
needforspeed

Next

Return to Suspension