2014 Racing Edition Marzocchi 48s - Initial Settings

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

2014 Racing Edition Marzocchi 48s - Initial Settings

Postby twowheels » Mon May 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Gentlemen: I'm busy prepping a new 2014 250 Racing Edition for a somewhat slender customer, so I had the occasion to swap the springs out on the red-legged Zokes. Without busting into the valve stacks, two things stood out compared to the very similar forks on the GasGas'.

First, I recovered 325cc of oil from each outer leg, meaning that with minor spillage and drip-down there was likely on the order of 330-335cc to begin with. For most single-track applications that volume is more on the order of 310cc.

Secondly, the PFP was two full turns in - most GasGas guys run 0 to 1/2 turn for slower speed enduro/hare scrambles (ie non-desert) riding.

If you're having issues with plushness, the forks not settling for turns, high ramp up mid-stroke and beyond, here are two easy (and free) areas to check.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Re: 2014 Racing Edition Marzocchi 48s - Initial Settings

Postby GMP » Tue May 06, 2014 6:14 am

Steve is correct, the fork works better with 300 - 310 cc oil. 330 - 340cc gives too steep of a pressure ramp that you can feel in the rocks or square edge holes less oil and work with the PFP. PFP is also best at 0 turns for technical work. Start there and go up as needed to control use of travel and support.

I'll add a couple things as well. On my fork, the "0" circlip position for the spring perch provided 1.5mm preload with the stock springs, measuring all the components. If you ride a lot of rocks, you can take advantage of this to slightly offset the high initial cartridge pressure. I added a .5mm shim for a 2mm preload.

Run the rebound in tighter than you would think is good, especially if you still have the stock valving with the bleed shim. I have removed my bleed and I'm still at 6 out. No packing on higher speed bumps and the front really settled down nicer. Its funny because I ended up in the same general position on my GG with the same fork. Fork also likes the comp open in the 15 - 20 range, even with a basically stock basevalve stack also with bleed. I have no major complaints about this compression valving so I'm treading very light on changes. It works a lot better than it looks on paper.

Sunday I did very well on a very tough rocky course, the fork performed excellent. Same goes for my buddy with the '12 GG version. I could choose any line through the rocks I wanted and did not get beat up from harshness or fighting the bike. I shot the whole race with my GoPro and watching the video it was evident that the fork did its job.

Good stuff.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue May 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Steve: it would be nice if you had similar advice as to the stock Sachs fork as I'm finding my 14 300RR harsh and somewhat upsetting. I do plan on revalving sometime in the future but would like to explore some things stock so that I can correctly access what is going on.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby dirtbird » Tue May 06, 2014 11:49 pm

Beta Factory team runs std valving (or this is what I was quoted) but 370(4T) and 380 (2T) ml on the outer chamber and PFP @ 1 turn.
I agree with Glen that the increased oil volume gives a much steeper air spring ramp and I think that I prefer the 320-330 ml I used before, at least on the rocky sections which I mostly ride.

Rebound settings, usually I don't go below 16 clicks out as steering then becomes heavy and gives me arm pump.
Maybe in faster sections (or faster rider) with good traction....
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby GMP » Wed May 07, 2014 6:40 am

Right now the rebound stack is a simple single stage. I may try adding more HS, open the adjuster, and test again. I agree it sounds wrong, but I can't dispute the fact that the bike feels a lot more settled up front with the adjuster in to 6. Very rocky race last Sunday, much of it downhill, and no packing harshness. Generally if your real fast in the small to mid size rocks you would want less rebound damping for a quicker "reset', maybe I'm just slow? As goofy as the compression stack looks on paper it works good enough that I'm afraid to touch it in a significant way without test time between races.

So the factory guys run PFP at 1 turn in, what does that say about the rest of us? 9 turns wasted thats what. I have all the spacers and shims I need to put a set of shorter KYB ICS springs in my fork and precisely adjust the preload for a more usable PFP adjuster. Stay tuned.
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Postby dirtbird » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

ICS springs are the closed chamber springs :?:
'10 RR450, '11 RR450, '12 RR498, '13 RR300, '13 RR300 Racing, '14 RR250/300 Racing - all gone
'17 RR300
dirtbird

Postby thumperrider1 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:57 pm

:)
Last edited by thumperrider1 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014 250RR Racing - Sold
thumperrider1

Postby T.Read » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Steve, are those my forks you're working on? :D I'm getting more antsy. I've got another week and a half of work. Can't wait to ride it.

I've been wondering how I would get on with the suspension on this bike. I'm really not good at diagnosing which way I need to go on the settings yet. I'm not really that used to adjustable suspension. Been riding vintage or an XR for the last several years up until last year when I got the Husky. I have a tendency to just ride around issues.
2014 250RR Racing
T.Read

Postby twowheels » Wed May 07, 2014 8:19 pm

T.Read wrote:Steve, are those my forks you're working on? :D I'm getting more antsy. I've got another week and a half of work. Can't wait to ride it.

I've been wondering how I would get on with the suspension on this bike. I'm really not good at diagnosing which way I need to go on the settings yet. I'm not really that used to adjustable suspension. Been riding vintage or an XR for the last several years up until last year when I got the Husky. I have a tendency to just ride around issues.

Why, as a matter of fact it is your bike :D

The good news is that many of the issues that face guys who ride the Marzocchis straight out of the box, or who spring up for their weight, will not confront you. Lowering the spring rate has the benefit of reducing the need for rebound damping, something the Zokes are light on to begin with. Dropping the outer chamber oil volume means you will will experience a plush mid-to-bottom of stroke ...

More good news - my guys are never left alone in the wilderness to wonder what to do with their bikes. Ride it, think about it, then call ...
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby GMP » Thu May 08, 2014 1:47 pm

dirtbird wrote:ICS springs are the closed chamber springs :?:

Yes, ICS is KYB/Showa "Internal Cartridge Spring"

The idea is simply reduce preload to allow more use of the adjustment range. With the same rate ICS spring, 2mm less preload will offset the PFP adjuster (.5mm thread pitch)by +4 turns. So, instead of working from 0-2 turns your now working from 4-6 turns. It would also lower pressure at 0 turns and ease assembly as well. When is the last time you set PFP to 10 turns? :shock:
Glenn
'13 Beta 300RR Racing
GMP

Next

Return to Suspension