Lower suspension by 1"

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Lower suspension by 1"

Postby Survivor » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Does lowering the X Trainer suspension by 1" make a big change to go over obstacle (trees or rocks) or very little change. It is now at 12.25" under the skid plate so it would be at +/- 11.25" under the skid plate.
I am short and old. So I personally do not go at high speed and only ride technical trails for a novice rider. The only faster riding is for connecting from trails to trails on the back roads.
I already have a low seat and the "Fastway" linkage guard is also lower +/- 3/8". The front forks are up in the tripple clamps by +/- 3/8".
I think it would improve my confidence a fair bit for my short legged person!
Thanks for the reply!
Survivor

Re: Lower suspension by 1"

Postby ScruffyDroid » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 pm

As posted on Thumpertalk Beta forum:

Don't overthink things.

I've lowered both my current bikes using a Koubalink on the rear (KDX220R & 2016 XTrainer). 1.5cm bar risers, raise in trees. Most critical thing is correct spring for your weight in the front right fork on XTrainer. Replace 5w oil with 500ml 15w. Reduce preload on rear to correct rider sag.

Getting your leg over, grounding even your one leg, is more confidence inspiring than getting a full desert race setup, for a weekend and casual trail and single-track rider.

I've been riding dirt since 1974 (Honda Monkey-bike). I'm 55 and the technical ability derived from a lifetime of riding is about seat of the pants experience, not the math. It's more important to ride miles than to dwell on getting the maximum potential performance. These bikes have more capabilities than certainly my potential! I'm not Graham Jarvis or Tim Coleman. Just an oily Old Gumby in the Barry Morris school of thought.
ScruffyDroid

Postby MBevans » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Granted your skid plate clearances are based unloaded dimensions, once you set the proper sag, dependent on your inseam, most should find this acceptable.
Most of us, as long as we can tip-toe, or one flat-foot and a tippy on the other foot are good, (My 31” inseam on my Beta and a low seat after a few rides I have no issue and I ride 90% super tight single track) food for thought.
I guess its all inseam dependent.

Best of luck
Mark
MBevans

Postby Lotus54 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:43 pm

I know an old post but…
I ordered my 2018 from BetaUSA lowered 1”
Yes, it hits slightly more often- but just because it hits on a 1” smaller obstacle than before it not a big deal. Lots of stuff I got over (mostly logs) I would hit no matter how tall the bike was.
The only time it bothers me is if I’m following someone and they clear an angled logs (sidehill) and I hit it. If I was expecting to hit it I would have approched it differently. If I wasn’t following I would have assuming I may hit it.
But even stock it may hit more than someone else, so not a big deal to me.

I have no issue riding full height bikes (I’ve owned a bunch) but for the slow, so called ‘technical’ stuff I prefer to do now I really like it lower. Especially when going through someplace with loads of brush so I can’t see what is on the ground, which is invariably super slippery sticks.
Beta XTrainer 300, Electric Motion Escape ‘R’, OSSA Super Pioneer 1975, Benelli 750 sei, more
Lotus54

Return to Suspension