I'll be changing the fork oil in my 2017 500 RR-S again

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

I'll be changing the fork oil in my 2017 500 RR-S again

Postby Ben500RS » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 pm

I had drained the OEM fork oil out this past November and had simply replaced it with Motorex 2.5 WT and all winter, with the rebound and compression set at full hard and fastest rebound, and then this past spring and now the summer with the adjusters turned to my liking, the forks have been just great as like the true hardcore dirt warrior that I am, I am not picky when it comes to the suspension, as long as it goes up and down and gets me down the trail, I'm good.

So last fall/winter, I simply dumped out and refilled the forks. Some had mentioned I should have at least swished some diesel/kerosene in, or even ATF to give the forks a little bit of help with the flushing of the crap on the inside so this time I will pour in some of the old ATF I have leftover from my CR500R days and ATF was the go-to for cheap fork oil.

I have some Redline 2.5WT fork oil that was on sale for really cheap so I got 4 pints and one of these days, now that it won't be hot and humid and more spring or even fall-like, getting the forks off, drained, flushed, filled and back on the bike will be an easy affair.

I love the suspension on this Beta and I'll be loving it even more once I get new fluid in the forks.
Ben500RS

Re: I'll be changing the fork oil in my 2017 500 RR-S again

Postby Ben500RS » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I just did another, easy, fork oil change and was lazy enough to just pour and pump out the old fluid-which looked ok as it had about 70 hours and 1,000 miles on it but mostly and better than 60%-street miles.

I put the 545 g or 18.42 oz of Redline 2.5 wt fork oil back in the forks and put it all back together. I think that this past November I had put in 500 ml but this time I added the 45 ml to see how it will all go. I had also used a Silkolene 2.5wt fork oil.

I'll be looking forward to feeling how the forks work after the fluid change as I never feel anything on the street.
Ben500RS

Return to Suspension