Who should I send my suspension to?

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Who should I send my suspension to?

Postby Seattle300rr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:35 am

I have a 2019 390rr and 300rr and I am thinning about sending myself suspension out for both bikes. The idea would be to set up the 390 as a fast eastern Washington desert bike and the 300 as a slower technical trail riding western washington bike. I'm not just having new seals done. I want custom valving and springs if the springs are needed.

We have a local guy LTracing who I have used before. He's good, but I am wonder if there are better options. He's also really slow on turn around time but cheaper than most.

I have considered sending my suspension to the Beta Factory suspension team but that seems a little over priced and if I'm sending my suspension out I want to talk to the person who either runs the shop or is doing the work so nothing is lost in translation. Currently it seems the only way to do it is to tell my local dealer what I want and then they relay that to Beta. Seems like a situation with built in errors.

My third choice is Stillwell because they have done many pro riders bikes and seem to have great knowledge, pricing and lead times.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the places or more than one and can offer any advice? I suppose you could suggest another option but unless they offer something these places don't I don't see the point in it.
Seattle300rr

Re: Who should I send my suspension to?

Postby mtdirtbag » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 am

Well LT-Racing is close and you have two bikes so time should not be a factor. There's also Steve @ afterhours cycle who gets good reviews plus AMP All Moto Performance in Montana which I believe a number of members have used. I had mine done locally but would still recommend any of the above, as you pointed out Les has good pricing and I think the other two are reasonable as well.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby firffighter » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am

Suspension is a very personal thing. One guy's favorite suspension is another guy's nightmare!

LT is obviously a great choice because he has a stellar reputation and many years of experience with the Sachs suspension.

I've been doing a lot of research on suspension for my 390 over the past several months. I stumbled onto a guy I had ridden with few times who I found out was doing suspension now. He just won the Vet A cross country series title down here in Oregon. He has a lot of experience ridng in eastern Oregon desert as well as the typical West side of the mountains terrain.

He is using racetech valving for the Sachs suspension. I spoke with him two weeks ago and I'll be using him for my betta suspension. Here is his contact info.

http://swickssuspensionsolutions.com/
firffighter

Postby BDM » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

Another vote for Les at LTR. He is a one man shop and popular so turnaround time will very. For sure there are other well regarded shops but the number pales compared to how many are out there. Do you really want a suspension shop that has little or no work?

Bruce
BDM

Postby Darkside » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:23 am

I have used LT, Zip-ty, and After hours. I have had the best luck with Steve at After hours. I will say that I do not fault the other guys, I fault myself. I don't understand suspension well enough to give a detail description of what I want.
Randy
2018 390 rrs, 2014 300 rr re, 2010 ktm 450 exc
Darkside

Postby aj_mariner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:52 pm

LT or Steve for riding this side of the mtns, Stillwell for Eastern WA riding. Figure the guys who live in the desert are prob the best at valving for that, same for woods.
‘17 300 RE - gone
‘22 300 RE
aj_mariner

Postby webmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:20 pm

aj_mariner wrote:LT or Steve for riding this side of the mtns, Stillwell for Eastern WA riding. Figure the guys who live in the desert are prob the best at valving for that, same for woods.

I would disagree with that. Les Tinius at LTR has ridden eastern washington a great deal and has many customers who ride/race there as well. So he knows very well how to set up for desert.... He raced mattawa many times the past, etc.

The great thing about washington state is that there is such a great variety of terrain - rain forest on the peninsula or west side, more open woods on the backside of the cascades, and desert in central washington. (Oregon has a similar geography and riding variety). We used to own a motorhome together and would go to belfair on west side, mattawa and taneum to the east....

Les at LT-Racing completely disassembles the fork and dials in all components in the fork - compression valving, rebound valving and mid-valve. So, his pricing may be very reasonable - but you aren't getting less for it - you actually get more - as most shops just modify the compression stack and send you on your way....

jeff
Webmaster
Beta Riders Club
webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Seattle300rr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Maybe I’ll just got back to Les. I know Stillwell and Factory Beta Suspension do custom valving. Also, Beta does more in-depth mods. It’s why I considered them.
Seattle300rr

Postby twowheels » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:50 pm

Every stack gets touched, and dialed in, to work together for how you need it. We also offer a hard-coat anodizing service to address the issue of upper tube wear, and it makes sense to do this while the forks are out for service.

Just sayin'
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Seattle300rr » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 am

twowheels wrote:Every stack gets touched, and dialed in, to work together for how you need it. We also offer a hard-coat anodizing service to address the issue of upper tube wear, and it makes sense to do this while the forks are out for service.

Just sayin'

I'm going to send you an email with some more questions
Seattle300rr

Next

Return to Suspension