60mm Static sag

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

60mm Static sag

Postby beta250rrowner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:07 am

Hi guys, I did some suspension tuning during my last time at the motocross track. Because I am normally with my bike alone, I can't do it by myself. Someone was kind enough to help me out.

We adjusted the rider sag roughly (there was no one to hold the bike), but that seems to have left me with 60mm static sag, which I believe is too much.

I can't take a rider sag measurement until I can get someone else to help me, but I think we got it to about 90mm before it was our group out on track.

I am a bit confused, is rider sag the overall suspension compression from an unloaded shock or is it the difference between the static sag and rider sag.
beta250rrowner

Re: 60mm Static sag

Postby hawaiidirtrider » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Check out setting sag on dirtbikes . Just seach on YouTube. There’s a whole bunch. There’s alot of sources out there.
hawaiidirtrider

Postby wwguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Both sag values are measured from a fully extended suspension (i.e. with the bike on a stand etc.) Rider sag is the distance the suspension compresses under the weight of the geared up rider and his accessories. Static sag is the distance the suspension compresses under just the weight of the bike itself. The relationship between rider and static sag measurements are an indicator of ideal spring rate.

The generally accepted rider sag target for most modern dirt bikes is around 1/3 of total suspension travel, which would be 96 mm for this bike. Some adjust +/- from there depending on personal preferences, riding conditions, and need to occasionally carry additional gear etc. The owner's manual doesn't specify rider sag, but does suggest static sag be set at 35 mm.

Here's a great reference article for setting sag values and the relationships between them.
wwguy

Postby LRM » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:06 am

A way to solve your one person for sag problem is this;

Purchase a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood, purchase the mount in the link below. Mount the clamp on the ply wood and you have a one person way to measure your sags of all type.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9Z02Y/re ... =UTF8&th=1
The only time you need he 2nd Amendment, is when someone comes to take I away!
LRM

Return to Suspension