New 2019 300rr

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

New 2019 300rr

Postby sundancer37 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Just bought this bike and now I need some help with the settings. I live in Florida and do mostly Enduros and Harescrambles, I am 55, 5'10 175 lbs wet. What is the best settings for this bike, rider sag, forks and shock. Also should I get rid of these tires before trying new settings? I rode this bike today and the front was harsh and reflecting.
sundancer37

Re: New 2019 300rr

Postby twowheels » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Sundancer: Congrats on the new bike. The first thing to go should be the tires, and while you've got a wrench in your hand loosen the lower fork pinch bolts and make sure the tubes are aligned properly. Snug up to 9 Nm. You might also consider replacing the fork oil in both the outer chamber and the cartridge at about 3 hours.

Rear sag should be between 100 and 105 on that bike - you should be able to get there with the stock spring.

A set of new skins, a little break-in, proper sag, some fresh oil … then tell us what it feels like.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby Hubert Carpet » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:31 am

If the bike is brand new, I wouldn't do much until the suspension has had 10-15 hours to run in. Start from the stock settings in the manual and get used to the way the suspension works before changing anything too much. Then change the fork oil as the stock is usually average quality and everyone has their own favourite brand. The springs should be fine for your weight, just set the sag once everything's run in.

Again, tyres are a very subjective thing. I usually leave the stock ones on while everything beds in and then put my favourites in. Stock tubes and rim tapes are usually pretty thin to save weight so I swap them for some 4mm heavy duty ones and check all the spokes whilst the tyres are off the rims.
2020 200RR.
2014 300RR. Gone but not forgotten.
Hubert Carpet

Postby Clearvu1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:11 am

I'm about the same size, maybe an inch taller and a few pounds lighter. I hated the stock DOT tires too, pitch them now and get what you know works for your terrain. I fiddled with the forks every which way from Sunday and couldn't get rid of the harsh and deflection. Find a good suspension guy and re-valve. In my experience it ain't gonna get better on it's own.
Clearvu1

Return to Suspension