2019 300 rr race edition forks.

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

2019 300 rr race edition forks.

Postby Korrupted » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Yesterday, I changed the oil in my forks for the first time at 25hrs. It was dark grey to black but I saw no wear on tube coating. I also filled the cartridges with 3wt maxima shock oil that someone here mentioned before. I put 350ml of torco 5wt in each leg. The manual calls for 340ml but figured a little extra may help with bottoming. Rode a few miles on some new rough singletrack that I am cutting and it is much better than stock. I may put some more preload on spring to keep it up a little more in the stroke. I’m going to run it like this for a while and play with the clickers and see what happens.
Korrupted

Re: 2019 300 rr race edition forks.

Postby Hurky » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:19 pm

I think I am near to the 40hrs mark on my 300 RR 2019, I wouldn't expect the oil to be bad that soon, seems like those forks do actually break in internally and leave some debris in the oil...

Now I want to change the oil :lol:

OEM is 5WT oil on both cartridge and leg ? I find my fork pretty stiff and my compression adjuster is fully open, going down to a 3WT could help with that so I can have the adjuster not fully open, correct ?

Regards.
Hurky

Postby Korrupted » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Hurky, I’m pretty sure the reason for it is the the seal on the rebound piston is plastic and it rides in a bare aluminum tube. The rubbing of the plastic will wear that bare aluminum. I think the surface finish of the Id of the tube is rougher than other brands and that causes the oil to become dirty very fast. In the outer I figure it’s the scale on the spring from heat treating and also rubbing the lower legs Id. I really feel the 3wt shock oil made a big improvement. It’s no custom job but for average me it made it more enjoyable to ride. Also the outer oil weight doesn’t do anything for damping it’s just for lubrication and setting an air gap. I put 10ml more in each leg to help resist bottoming. I wish I had put more preload on the springs to keep it up a little bit in the stroke. They don’t sag too much but would like to try it next oil change at 50hrs or maybe sooner. I made the fork cap wrench and socket myself since I am a toolmaker by trade. By the way I am more in the middle of the adjustment range.
Korrupted

Postby Hurky » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:48 am

Well I may change my oil then, did you find an manual for those forks ? How much oil do I need in total for those ?

I may try with the BelRay SAE2,5

May still see if I can get the tool for the chamber head, that huge inside HEX.

Regards.
Hurky

Postby Korrupted » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:58 am

I used the manual for the 17-18 forks. My 19 manual came with an insert showing the specs of the forks. That is where I got the 340ml outer oil volume. They are not very complicated to take apart and are almost identical to the 17-18 forks, and that manual is on the beta site. The inner cartridge uses 200ml but when you put them back together the excess oil comes out the overflow holes in the top of the cartridge. I used 400ml of 3wt shock oil and 700ml of 5wt for the outers. You can get 2 pints of shock oil or a quart and one quart of fork oil will be plenty. I had 50 bucks in a quart of shock oil and 2 quarts of fork oil from a local suspension shop, I would have ordered but needed it right now and in a hurry. If you order online I am sure it will cost less. I needed the extra quart for my KLX300 forks as one is leaking and need to change the seals. Get the cartridge holding tool also because it will make life easier. Take your time and keep everything clean and organized and you will be fine. If you can do a top end you can service your suspension, it isn't voodoo. good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Korrupted

Postby Hurky » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:39 am

I was researching the needed tools and I could only find them as OEM part numbers, didn't find them anywhere else yet...

They are not that cheap but it's an valid option:

https://www.endurorecambios.com/index.p ... &results=6
^ This is a 50mm tool with 10 sides, cost 24,79 €

https://www.endurorecambios.com/index.p ... &results=1
^ This is a 39mm tool with 8 sides , cost 36,38 €

I may consider doing them myself, will try at least :D

Regards.
Hurky

Postby Hurky » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:16 am

Hurky wrote:I may consider doing them myself, will try at least :D

Well I did fabricate some tools and I can take the forks apart now, I'm still searching for the closed chamber fork manual but I can not find one even for the 2017 - 2018 models, just the normal user manual were a open chamber fork is being explained.

Can you please help me finding the right manual ?

Thanks.
Hurky

Postby Hurky » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am

Found it !
https://betausa.com/content/SUPPORT_PDF ... nual_0.pdf
It's on the betausa side, but not on the Europe betamotor.com side, go figure ! :D

Oil already drained out, black / silver metalized color, no good. Fork is upside down dripping out oil, I'm now checking for the quantities to fill them up.
It's my first fork that measures in oil quantity and not height or air chamber as my previous bikes.

Cheers !
Hurky

Return to Suspension