2019 300 setup for heavy rider

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

2019 300 setup for heavy rider

Postby throttle » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 pm

going to get my F&R susp tuned this winter, After some health issues I'm allowed back on a bike and had some questions for those of us pushing 250lb or 115kg . The first owner installed a blue race tech rear spring so I'm assuming the front was re-sprung too. I think it's heavier than stock but not enough for my 6-2 260lb w/gear arse. (Actually works great until I hit some bumps)

Thing is, I'm also 51 and nowhere near as fast or aggressive as I was at 30 but still like to be challenged by the trail.

I ride almost every weekend the weather lets me. So correct springs are a no-brainer. But will I gain much from revalve/shim stack kit when they do the springs?
2019 300rr
throttle

Re: 2019 300 setup for heavy rider

Postby kzoo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 am

*Disclaimer* - I am in NO way a suspension expert... It's all voodoo to me!

But; that being said... My 2020 300rr is my first Beta. Before I dove into anything else (re-valve) I re-sprung it for my weight and am going to ride it a bit to try and adjust it etc... Only then can I truly get a sense of what I like and don't. If I'm lucky enough I'll like the stock valving...

Case in point, when I did my first couple of break-in rides it was on the stock springs which were WAY to soft and the thing handling MISERABLY... I knew it would though so no gripe there. Just funny how bad it was... Fast forward to correct spring rates - night and day difference!

Currently, I do actually like stock valving (forks and shock) for trail chop etc... But here in Michigan there is A LOT of sand whoops but many of the trails I hit will also have roots etc... So I think you gotta strike a balance between the two.
kzoo

Postby Trail Rider » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:39 pm

1st thing I would do is pull the springs out & get the correct ones for your weight (including all gear you ride with). Put all the clickers in the standard setting. Adjust the sag according to the specs in your manual. Ride it a few times before doing any expensive suspension work. You might just like it.
2018 Beta 300RR
Trail Rider

Postby throttle » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks, from other threads it was hard to tell if the stock valving had many fans or made that much of a difference. I underestimated spring importance. I'm pretty sure the springs I have now are for a heavier rate than stock but by how much is hard to tell with the marking rubbed out.
2019 300rr
throttle

Postby hooter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:56 am

If you feel like trying to measure the rate of the springs that are in it, this might help: https://valvinglogic.com/suspInfo/Level_1_siSprFk_calcSprRate.php

Otherwise, just *spring* for the right weight and go from there. (See what I did there?)
hooter

Postby kzoo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Have you tried setting the static and rider sag? If you get it within decent measurements then you at least have the right shock spring...
kzoo

Return to Suspension