2020 300 rr suspension adjustment

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

2020 300 rr suspension adjustment

Postby allkidd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:36 pm

I have a 2020 300 rr with about 25 hours. The suspension is stock as I haven't touched anything. I'm 63 and weigh 175 loaded. I don't race and primarily ride very rocky single track.

My problem is that with this stock suspension I feel beat up after a day of riding. I didn't get this way with my older ktm that had been revalved. My question is regarding adjusting my stock suspension. I've never made any adjustments and not sure how to adjust to make bike easier on my body in rocky situations. I've reviewed the manual but still not sure if I should adjust the rebound or compression and in or out.

Again, I don't care about racing as most of my riding is slower, technical type riding. Any help/advice is appreciated!
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Re: 2020 300 rr suspension adjustment

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Is it an RR or Xtrainer as in your signature. Either way I would call Aaron at All Moto Performance or Steve at Afterhours Cycle and talk to them, both are very helpful and if you decide to have your suspension done both have excellent reviews.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby allkidd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Guess I need to update my signature.

Thanks for the information. I will contact. Do they specialize in the beta suspension?
Beta Xtrainer 300
Beta 300 rr
kTM 1190 Adventure
allkidd

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:54 pm

Both do, Steve is a Beta dealer.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby Hyde » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am

That stock 2020 shock was so harsh I ended up going to an acupuncturist to help get my back issues helped, Aaron said there is a design flaw in the 2020+ shock piston, he does a mod and revalve for a vary reasonable cost . Aaron rides Beta's and said he had experienced the exact same issues I was and he has a solution, I was skeptic about the claims and sent him one of my shocks, first ride was night and day and I could walk Monday, the next week I sent off my other 2020 shock.

I had been struggling to get a balance and with turning on my 200rr and 250rr, I have been all over the place with my forks with no improvement, the stock shock can't be adjusted enough to help, do your bones a favor and call Aaron or Steve if that's your guy.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.
Hyde

Postby twowheels » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:52 pm

Hyde wrote:That stock 2020 shock was so harsh I ended up going to an acupuncturist to help get my back issues helped, Aaron said there is a design flaw in the 2020+ shock piston, he does a mod and revalve for a vary reasonable cost . Aaron rides Beta's and said he had experienced the exact same issues I was and he has a solution, I was skeptic about the claims and sent him one of my shocks, first ride was night and day and I could walk Monday, the next week I sent off my other 2020 shock.

I had been struggling to get a balance and with turning on my 200rr and 250rr, I have been all over the place with my forks with no improvement, the stock shock can't be adjusted enough to help, do your bones a favor and call Aaron or Steve if that's your guy.

We've got a fair bit of time on a 2020 250RR, albeit paired to the Sachs closed cartridge, and were able to get the bike balanced well. Definitely a more focused set-up than previous Beta's, but we have found them to be tunable. The open chamber forks that come on most RRs are somewhat compromised in their execution, and the new design doesn't allow an easy swap in of adjustable compression taps like the 2019 did, but we have had great results tuning those for customers as well.
http://www.afterhourscycle.com by PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over
Michigan's Vertigo, Beta and TM Race Headquarters
twowheels

Postby kzoo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 pm

allkidd wrote:My problem is that with this stock suspension I feel beat up after a day of riding. I didn't get this way with my older ktm that had been revalved. My question is regarding adjusting my stock suspension. I've never made any adjustments and not sure how to adjust to make bike easier on my body in rocky situations. I've reviewed the manual but still not sure if I should adjust the rebound or compression and in or out.

Again, I don't care about racing as most of my riding is slower, technical type riding. Any help/advice is appreciated!

I feel your pain, literally... I feel wrecked after riding mine...

In a couple of weeks I'm sending mine out to All Moto Performance. I've spoken with Aaron and he's assured me that he can get it sorted...
kzoo

Postby AllMotoPerformance » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:50 am

allkidd wrote:I have a 2020 300 rr with about 25 hours. The suspension is stock as I haven't touched anything. I'm 63 and weigh 175 loaded. I don't race and primarily ride very rocky single track.

My problem is that with this stock suspension I feel beat up after a day of riding. I didn't get this way with my older ktm that had been revalved. My question is regarding adjusting my stock suspension. I've never made any adjustments and not sure how to adjust to make bike easier on my body in rocky situations. I've reviewed the manual but still not sure if I should adjust the rebound or compression and in or out.

Hey there allkidd. What you are experiencing is my findings as well. Beta tends to take a good design and implement wacky internal settings.

You could stand to go up a rate front and rear. However, you may find adequate performance with the stock springs assuming proper preload is taken into account. I do not recommend chasing sag numbers as this will aggravate your issues.

The shock in particular has very aggressive damping in both directions. This causes the rear end to kick and the tire to lose traction over bumps and dips.

The fork is another beast entirely. Beta has negated any semblance of low speed damping(chassis control) and provided an excess of high-speed damping(bump absorption).

This is the short answer. For the long version, follow this link.
https://www.facebook.com/allmotoperform ... 7861640806

It sounds like Steve is on the same page. He obviously has a lot of happy riders as well. I'm sure whoever you decide to work with will provide you with a plush, yet controlled ride.
AllMotoPerformance

Return to Suspension