ZF Fork Spring Mix

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

ZF Fork Spring Mix

Postby xdab » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:55 am

Think I know answer to this just want some verification from someone who knows for certain. When mixing spring rates on the separate function ZF forks (2019 300rr) does it really matter which side the stiffer spring goes in? I'm going to experiment with a .50 along with the stock .42 to get an effective .46 rate. Like in non separate function forks once everything gets tied together and working as a unit I wouldn't think it would matter which leg the stiffer spring goes in but need to make certain. The only issue I can think of is that the pre load adjuster on the compression side might be more sensitive if the stiffer spring ended up in that side but other than that can't imagine would make a difference. The springs don't actually interact directly with any damping mechanisms so probably not.
xdab

Re: ZF Fork Spring Mix

Postby AllMotoPerformance » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:49 am

You are correct that it will make the preload adjuster a bit more or less sensitive pending which spring you use on the compression side. Otherwise it makes no difference.

These are SFF from a damping perspective but still a dual spring fork otherwise. A true SFF fork would be the WP AER or Showa TAC for example.
AllMotoPerformance

Return to Suspension