Harsh forks 2020 250rr

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

Harsh forks 2020 250rr

Postby mic77 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:02 am

I have been riding my stock 250rr for about 30h now and I don't feel that I can't get along with the fork.
I mainly ride pretty bad terrain, lots of bumps, rocks and ruts and it beats my arms up pretty bad, I did not have this problem with my last bike (2017 Ktm 250F with k-tech orvs in the forks).

Im weigh about 67kg with gears the moment, and have change springs to my weight, so Im not a big guy, could the fact that I'm a bit lighter then what the stock valving is set to be the problem?
Im just a clubman rider so I don't need super fancy suspension, I just need it to work and stop beating my body up more the necessary.

Here is a clip from a place where I ride a lot where you can see the type of terrain I usually ride, it is filmed with a older gopro without stabilization so I think you can get an idea about how harsh it is just by looking at the video (fast forward a minute or two).
https://youtu.be/5kQmZyPCW6A

I have been considering the dal soggio b-one kit for the Sachs forks, as I have heard they make the clickers more useful, I can't feel much difference as the fork is now when I play around with the settings.
mic77

Re: Harsh forks 2020 250rr

Postby AllMotoPerformance » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 am

You're issues with those forks are warranted and justified. I personally ride the same bike and the suspension can be made worlds better.

I recommend you give my write up a read regarding the ins and outs of the stock setup. Its a bit lengthy but goes into detail as to WHY the suspension performs poorly and my approach to correcting it.

Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss options or just looking to gain more knowledge on the subject. Happy to help where I can.

-PERFORMANCE EXPLAINED-
2019+ Sachs ZF fork

This new design, from the factory, is a halfway attempt at an asymmetrical damping system. Being the rebound damping is controlled in one leg while compression is split between the two.

Due to the poor valving arrangement from the factory, Beta has negated any semblance of low speed damping control. Low speed damping is in direct correlation to chassis control. Without ample low speed damping, the bike will have poor bottoming resistance, blow through the stroke, and excessive brake dive.

Beta has attempted to mitigate the lack of low speed damping through increased spring preload. While this does effectively raise the front end of the bike, it also requires more force to initiate fork movement. This excessive fork spring preload will cause a host of issues in an offroad environment such as deflection and pushing in corners. The chassis will resist "settling".

Another major cause for deflection is the poor pressure control and an imbalance of compression damping between the individual valves. Pressure control and compression damping balance go hand in hand. In 2019, the midvalve is effectively clamped shut, resulting in harshness as it provides a huge damping spike on initial movement. The 2020 models have mitigated some of this harshness by allowing the midvalve to blow off initial pressure. Unfortunately, both of these are on extreme ends of the damping spectrum and neither provide a proper damping profile that promotes comfort, traction, and confidence.

Traction is also lost due to the overly aggressive rebound circuit. Rebound plays a large role in traction and compliance. Beta has slowed the rebound so much that the wheel can not effectively follow the terrain. While its possible to soften the rebound via the adjuster, this will result in compromise as the front end will want to jump back at the rider.

THE AMP FIX
1. We drastically alter the base valves in each fork. Each leg has unique valving that compliments the design of each cartridge after our modifications.
2. The midvalve gets a revamped shim configuration and is backed by our proprietary wave spring. This wave spring holds the shim stack shut, allowing for much more low speed damping control, while also blowing off excess pressure when demanded. This combination of settings makes for a compression adjuster that is far more effective click-click, and gives excellent chassis control.
3. The rebound circuit is completely altered with our custom settings. This new rebound valving configuration allows the front wheel to effectively follow the ground, in anticipation of absorbing the next bump. In addition, the chassis will remain under control, while maximizing traction.
4. Proper springs and preload to support the weight of rider and bike. All the above mentioned modifications will fall short if the proper springs are not installed. Its highly recommended to throw out the Beta supplied spring charts and follow ours instead. Our charts offer proven support and control, after preload has been determined for a given rider.

All of the above mentioned is standard practice on all Sachs ZF revalves. The final springs, valving, and overall setup will ultimately be tailored to the individual.

You can expect more bottoming resistance, control, traction, comfort, and confidence with the AMP treatment.
For any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out. Always happy to help and discuss.

Pricing:
$250 per revalved component
$120 Fork springs
$120 Shock spring
$65 SKF Fork Seals
$40 Fork Bushings

Upgrades:
$980 MXT Lucky cartridge kit
$250 Hard Anodize fork tubes

Spring Charts:
https://www.allmotoperformance.com/spring-charts

Email: aaron@allmotoperformance.com
Phone: 406-351-1633
AllMotoPerformance

Postby mic77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the information, I would really like to use your fix on my forks, unfortunately I live I Sweden so that is probably not an option.
Does your fix involve reworking of the original components of the fork or is it a change of some of the internal components?
mic77

Postby AllMotoPerformance » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:02 pm

My typical fix is reworking the original components. The only hard part I add is my wave shim for the compression side.

The Dal Saggio kit mentioned will be a big upgrade over stock. My personal favorite is the Lucky cartridge kit at $980.

If you have the budget to swap out internals, you can expect awesome results.
AllMotoPerformance

Postby Hyde » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 pm

I also have the same bike, fix your shock and the forks will feel better, your not going to be happy with any work on the forks until the shock is addressed. Ask Aaron.
23' 430RE
23' 250RE
21' 350RE
20', 200rr, gone
20', 250rr, Ye-haw !
18', 250rr,gone
18' 125rr, KYB forks, gone
16' 250rr, KYB forks-sold
15' 250rr RE-sold
14' 450rr, gone
14' 250rr-sold
14' 450rr KYB forks.