500 RRS suspension options

Tuning and maintenance of forks, shocks, etc.

500 RRS suspension options

Postby itshosh » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:00 am

Hello
I have a 2018 500 RRS that i have neglected suspension wise. 560 hours neither the forks or the shock has been serviced yet. brought them to racetech to get rebuilt, forks were sent to main headquarters in california to get reanodized, but they were seized up somehow so they were unable to get them completely apart. they said it can be a liability to ride them again but ultimately up to me.
"The axel lug threads onto the inner tube and upon disassembly the threads with cross thread and lock the lug onto the tube. The inner tubes can be reused but the lugs would need to be cut off and replaced."

So i am kind of wondering what my options are. Bike is used strictly as supermoto on back country roads nothing track (but lots of wheelies). Suspension wasnt awful originally but i want better i think.

https://shopbetamotorcycle.com/products ... f-fork-set - $2900

would these be complete overkill for what im doing? would i be better off getting brand new cc forks?

what other options would i have besides these ohlins forks? would it be cheaper to attempt to rebuild my current forks properly? i was already gonna spend nearly 1500 for a racetech gold valve setup for the forks and the shock.

and do these forks fit on all beta models with 48mm forks? i assume they wouldnt work on a new 500 exc or 501 tho?

thanks for the help
itshosh

Re: 500 RRS suspension options

Postby mtdirtbag » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:44 am

I'm confused, why did they need to remove the lugs when rebuilding them. I would assume the anodizing is for the uppers which would not have been affected by the lower tubes. As far as replacement it is only determined by how much you want to spend, there have been a number of people who have replace the Sachs with both KYB's and Ohlins.
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby itshosh » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:03 pm

Your guess is as good as mine. i have like no knowledge about suspension but i thought the same thing. havent had an actual conversation with my tuner yet about it, racetech is dragging sending my forks back, but I figured if they couldnt get them apart / repaired properly then i should just cut my losses and ball out on some new forks. still dont know what to do, i definitely think those ohlins are kinda overkill for the kind of riding i do, and idk if i will stick with the brand through another bike to make them worth it. im thinking some stock closed cartridge forks brand new from beta would be the best option. im not really in the position to be swapping things out, i kind of need to buy forks that will be rideable out of the box. this is all making me just want to purchase a new bike and literally throw my old one away lol

are there certain years that are better for closed cartridge forks? like 2018 vs 2019 vs 2020 vs 2021 ect, are they all the same? are the years interchangeable?
itshosh

Postby mtdirtbag » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:55 pm

I would talk to some other suspension people/companies and discuss this, you might give Aaron at AMP (all moto performance) a shout as he has established himself as someone that does a good job with the Beta/Sachs. I know when I contacted him via his website he gave me very good advice. As far as the CC Sachs I have not heard much either way on their performance but would opt for the KYB's if purchasing. JMHO
14 Beta 300RR
07 DR650
mtdirtbag

Postby JoeMaico » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:22 am

I would just buy the replacement parts you need and get them serviced. Dropping money on a new suspension for your stated riding preferences would be a waste. New upper tubes are fairly cheap. I bought a set and had them hard anodized from Steve at AfterHoursCycle (PlusOne Performance). You said the lowers were still good, but you needed new Lugs. Again, not overly expensive. I would assume your internals are OK. If you wanted to look into an upgrade, without dropping big money into it, you could ask Steve if you could drop in a Sachs CC setup into the Sachs Open Chamber forks. I don't know if they would work or not. I run the Sachs CC on 16 300 RE and I love them. I am sure KYB, Ohlins, and WP Cone valve are a lot better. But, a lot more money to.

joe
JoeMaico

Postby Deck1 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:21 pm

I would post parts WANTED on Beta facebook pages, and also in Parts section of this forum. Enough people have changed out forks from 2016-2019, that you may get lucky
Dale in Colfax
2016 500RS
Deck1

Return to Suspension